Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» [MONTHLY THEME] April: Reach as High as You Can~Due April 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:42 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:36 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:33 pm

» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Uniqflame Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] January: Bittersweet Chocolate~Due January 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 am

» ✾ Faeri's Covers ✾
by FaeriMagic Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:22 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] December: Snow Day~Due December 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:10 pm

Preferred Way to Record a Chorus

+7
rosewisteria
Ciel
mong
JinSeng
Kicchan
Rei
Jefferz
11 posters

Go down

How do you prefer to sing a chorus?

Preferred Way to Record a Chorus Vote_lcap23%Preferred Way to Record a Chorus Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 18 ]
Preferred Way to Record a Chorus Vote_lcap56%Preferred Way to Record a Chorus Vote_rcap 56% 
[ 43 ]
Preferred Way to Record a Chorus Vote_lcap21%Preferred Way to Record a Chorus Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 16 ]

Total Votes : 77

Preferred Way to Record a Chorus Empty Preferred Way to Record a Chorus

Post by Jefferz Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:15 pm

There's been a lot of chorus going on and I've been a few of them that have been done different ways, but I was wondering how everyone preferred to sing their part in a chorus? Do you like to only sing parts that were assigned to you for less recording and or do you prefer to sing the entire song knowing only certain parts will be used and chosen by the mixer. What are your opinions on this? I'm organizing a few choruses myself and wanted to know which way people prefer.
Jefferz
Jefferz
Conversationalist

Singing Alias : Jefferz Posts : 278

https://www.youtube.com/jefferzkm

Back to top Go down

Preferred Way to Record a Chorus Empty Re: Preferred Way to Record a Chorus

Post by Rei Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:07 pm

"Record the whole song, and let the mixer choose parts to use and mix together" ;DD Since, the mixer is the mixer, he or she would be the one to also choose the parts which sounds good and which does not. And which more blends in, and which doesn't. 8D
Rei
Rei
Hyperactive SUGAR HIGH

Singing Alias : れいれい Posts : 1669

Sakura No Ame Chorus Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story YTC 2015 Blind Duet Participant

http://reili.blog127.fc2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kicchan Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:36 am

When we record the full song, the mixer can choose which part is the best. I find it better.
Kicchan
Kicchan
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : TBK, TheBakaKit Posts : 1121

Sakura No Ame Chorus Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story

https://www.facebook.com/TheBakaKitsune

Back to top Go down

Post by JinSeng Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Personally I hate the doing the scripted choruses, but that's just me.

Sure it's less work for the mixer but in the end, there's more good that comes out for everyone in the long run.

Choruses where the mixer actually mixes has more benefits. The singers get to sing the entire song which they can post as their own personal cover, and be featured in a chorus. The mixer also gains mixing experience, and also it's a surprise to the singers in the end on what parts they get.

Just my 2 cents
JinSeng
JinSeng
Turtle Hugger
Turtle Hugger

https://ytchorus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mong Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:10 pm

It kind of depends. :O If I wasn't familiar with people's voices in the chorus, I'd go and do the recording the whole song, because then I can choose who did well where and whatnot. If I did know them well enough to know who blended well with who, and who's range fits which part, then I would code. Either ways, it's still hard on the mixer, because a crappy code would mean a lot of clashing in voices and if you didn't know how to choose good part from what people sang, then it wouldn't sound good either. XD
mong
mong
Chorus Staff

Banner Decorator * 1 Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Jefferz Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:23 pm

Ok thanks for the comments so far. I was just wondering since I tend to like scripted since I don't have very much recording time compared to other people so I can focus on the parts I need to do, but as a mixer I also like picking the best parts too.
Jefferz
Jefferz
Conversationalist

Singing Alias : Jefferz Posts : 278

https://www.youtube.com/jefferzkm

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciel Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:05 pm

As a mixer, I personally think that either way has pros and cons.

Pros to scripted:
- Easier to record for singers - you only have a few lines, which means less time is wasted recording the whole song, and more time can be spent perfecting it, with minimal effort.
- Not so much brain power required from mixers, i.e. the mixer doesn't have to listen to everything and think what blends with what and how to mix it.

Cons to scripted:
- If it's done badly, it can result in really really bad blends.
- Apparently, less lines doesn't always necessarily mean people spend more time singing them right =_=

Pros to reverse-mixing (using the whole song):
- Allows the mixer to decide the best blends possible, including thinking about microphone quality, and who sounds best singing solos, things like that.
- For singers, it's a good way to feel like you're singing a whole song rather than being only a small part of it

Cons to reverse-mixing:
- Using whole solos almost always means impossible to break up lines properly - people take breaths at different places, people do slightly different rhythms etc.
- Very very very very tiring on the mixer...and their CPU!
- A LOT of people halfass their lines when they're expected to sing everything with the thought of "If it's bad the mixer can just cut it out" leaving the mixer usually with a whole lot of mediocre lines.

As you can tell, I'm more pro-scripting 8D;;
Ciel
Ciel
Retired Staff

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1

http://flavors.me/justciel

Back to top Go down

Post by rosewisteria Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm more pro-scripted myself just because as the leader, if their parts are not that good... I'll just make them redo that part instead of the whole song~ >abuser< Shiny
rosewisteria
rosewisteria
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Minnie/Jez Posts : 679

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2

http://rosewisteria.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LizBorden Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:02 pm

Well as someone who tends to have a had time with singing, it can be a lot easier if I only have to worry about certain lines. (I've done choruses where the mixer picked my worst lines to use!"
Besides, when writing a script beforehand you can make sure you evenly share the lines a little better...
LizBorden
LizBorden
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Singing Alias : Akiko Posts : 89
My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by krannda Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 pm

I actually don't mind both but it gets tiring using the unscripted one when all the people don't really sound alike and it's hard figuring out which part should go where. Also, it takes a lot more patience and effort to time everything perfectly. Too many overlapping lines. =A=;;

Personally, I like scripting cuz it saves me time and effort. I know where each track should go and what I should do with them from the very beginning. I prefer being the scripter and the mixer because when I do script, I take into careful consideration what each singer would sound like with another and how I can make their mic qualities better. That way the chorus wouldn't sound as bad as a randomly scripted one.
krannda
krannda
I'm still alive?

Singing Alias : kran Posts : 1244

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

https://www.youtube.com/user/fxsynth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:45 pm

With a script, you can start animation while you wait for singer to record their lines. o3o)b

Back to top Go down

Post by LizBorden Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:39 pm

Exactly! You can get everything done quicker.
LizBorden
LizBorden
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Singing Alias : Akiko Posts : 89
My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by Una Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:18 am

Well. As a *self-proclaimed* scripter for VocaLight, I'd naturally prefer scripting, since it's my job after all. (-SHOT-) However, I always try to make the mixer's job easier, so I script as simple as possible. (you can include your own style of course :'D)

Therefore, when it comes to scripting, the only way to make th mixer's job easier is to match the voices well. Know each member's singing style and tone as much as possible. You'd want to have the mature/low voices together, and the high/cute/childish voices together, so that the voices blends\ better. (very obvious fact, but apparently not everyone gets it.) Contrast is good sometimes, but too much (eg: pairing a high-pitched girl with a very low pitched guy.) can make th whole chorus sound off. If inevitable to have this sort of duet line, try to pair the high-pitched girl to a medium-pitched guy. :'D

Also, speaking of guys, they aren't much of a problem since most of them (who have proper singing techniques) blend fairly easily.

Random thing, but it'd be good to have a climax in your scripting too :'D (simple eg: all the girls will sing in one phrase, guys in the next phrase, all of them come together and sing in the next phrase.)

But yeah, basically, I agree with Ciel-nee and Yanovi.
8D
OTL

~Una
Una
Una
Talkative

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1

https://www.youtube.com/user/Unawhut

Back to top Go down

Post by ZephyriaGenevive Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:18 am

@Rosewisteria Oh, you have no idea how much I do that all the time. *Shot dead*.

I agree with scripting first. It gives the mixer less to worry about. And if you don't have a script, the mixer ends up having to pick your best lines, and also has to script, since...well, the lines wouldn't be even if he/she didn't do so?
ZephyriaGenevive
ZephyriaGenevive

CB (1) Round 1

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZephyriaGenevive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down