Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» [MONTHLY THEME] April: Reach as High as You Can~Due April 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:42 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:36 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:33 pm

» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Uniqflame Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] January: Bittersweet Chocolate~Due January 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 am

» ✾ Faeri's Covers ✾
by FaeriMagic Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:22 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] December: Snow Day~Due December 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:10 pm

Pure confusion

2 posters

Go down

Pure confusion Empty Pure confusion

Post by Sakura桜 Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Sighhhh~~~~~ ; u ;

well basicly i have a few questions about mixing. And i've been really frustrated with it for quite awhile. I looked up ytc forums and looked them up online. But i just couldn't comprehend them no matter how hard i try. such as the concepts of dB, Frequency spectrum, and EQ... I think i'm going to literally fail at reading next year... OTL... Reading up Q&As didnt really help since the people asking were either already talking out of my level or asking unrelated questions(and i dont understand the guides, either the wording or concept-less, like do this do that without even knowing what the heck im doing). Looking up google was like reading a scientific research report with SAT vocabulary. So... i'd like to know... if anyone can spare a little time ;; u ;; most of this stuff is not about How to do(which buttons to click) but why and what does it do, when do i do it.

1. dB? like... volume...? and the difference of that and Hz?
2. The frequecy spectrum and sound waves. Like wut o_o||| this is the most confusing since stuff i looked up contradicted themselves =_= and other stuff i looked up was pure science.
3. Purpose of EQ, so hard to understand... @_@ without understanding the above 2, i had no way of understanding this neither. the concept of MAKE SPACE doesnt seem to make sense neither... I looked up YT tutorials, i did hear a little difference with and without EQ but they did 0 explaining so its pretty much useless too.
4. Reverb. Okay so an small echo that make things sound better..? am i right? ....

I feel like an absolute idiot. I admit im honesty NOT the smartest person at all. But i can't help it, and i need to know... there's no other better way to do this so can someone please help me?
Sakura桜
Sakura桜
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Saku桜(and many Posts : 856

Sakura No Ame Chorus My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/xxcartoonfulxx/

Back to top Go down

Pure confusion Empty Re: Pure confusion

Post by QrMOMOKA Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Actually, most of these questions can be answered once you get into highschool and learn some physics, baby.

1. The higher the dB, the louder it is. You can think of it as volume. Hz is a unit for frequency. The higher the frequency the higher pitch something sounds.

2. I don't really understand what you want to know about them but, you can see the frequency spectrum as a graph that shows you the frequency of something, and see the sound waveform as a graph that shows you the volume of something.

3. EQ/equalizing allows you to edit the frequency of your recorded sound. As I said before, the higher the frequancy the higher the pitch, and the same goes for the opposite. Every sound has a frequency, including your voice.
If you sound kind of "blocked/mushy" (like when you get a cold) in your recordings, your voice probably contain more lower frequency sounds.
To fix that, you can equalize your voice; bring up the higher frequencies, and pull down the lower. This will lighten up your voice, and make it sound "sharp and crisp", if you get what I mean.
I think you read the "making space" method Ciel talked about in the sticky. She was saying that the instrumental track and your vocals might have the same frequencies in some parts.
For example, pretend your vocals are in the range of 500-1500 Hz, and the instrumental track is in the range of 50-18000 Hz, and it has some instruments in the range of your vocals; this means that some frequencies will overlap, end up making them "pasted on top of each other".
By lowering the volume of the instrumental track's 500-1500 Hz range, you are creating space for your vocals to fit in. When you lower the volume for certain frequencies in the instrumental track, you're making a "hole", and your vocal will be the filler.

4. Reverb is.. different than echo. But it's fine for you to think that reverb is just a different (richer) sounding echo. Yes it makes you sound better if you apply the right amount, because your mic won't pick up all the reverberation as you record.
QrMOMOKA
QrMOMOKA
Motor Mouth

Sakura No Ame Chorus

https://www.youtube.com/user/QrMOMOKA

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum