Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» [MONTHLY THEME] July: Disobedience~Due July 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:43 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:17 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] June: Nature of the World~Due June 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:16 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] May: Make Space for Space~Due May 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Fri May 31, 2024 6:05 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] April: Reach as High as You Can~Due April 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:36 pm

» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Guest Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

Encoding 101 - simple encoding to upload to YT

5 posters

Go down

Encoding 101 - simple encoding to upload to YT Empty Encoding 101 - simple encoding to upload to YT

Post by DijiDori Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:57 am

Sooooo people don't really know how to encode. That's what this is for! \o\

What is encoding?:

Why should you listen to me?:

What these instructions are useful for:

Programs and stuff:

Step 0: Install everything:

Step 1: Download/Render video.:

Step 2: Open the video and audio in VirtualDub.:

Step 3: Add filters (Optional):

Regarding Video Resolution:

Step 4: Choose your codec:

Step 5: Save as .AVI:

Wait a bit and you're done!
Depending on the video, the encode should take anywhere from 3 to 30 minutes

I probably forgot some things I need to explain somewhere. If you have any issues just ask.

Last edited by Ciel on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:17 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Rewrite - trimmed out a lot of words and added download links)

DijiDori

Back to top Go down

Encoding 101 - simple encoding to upload to YT Empty Re: Encoding 101 - simple encoding to upload to YT

Post by Cherysh Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:03 am

THANK YOU! I've always struggled with encoding (I use Vegas or avidemux + Nico encoder) so this is a big help and really insightful *A*

Could this thread be stickied?
Cherysh
Cherysh
Talkative

Sakura No Ame Chorus Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2

Back to top Go down

Encoding 101 - simple encoding to upload to YT Empty Re: Encoding 101 - simple encoding to upload to YT

Post by harumia Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:25 pm

This is a good guide, though I am wondering, how do I lower the file size? 15GB won't upload to NND obviously...
harumia
harumia
Conversationalist

Singing Alias : kyaami Posts : 152

http://harumia.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DijiDori Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:14 pm

see "Step 4: Choose your codec"

DijiDori

Back to top Go down

Post by harumia Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Oh woops I had the thing set to high....

I uploaded the finished thing to NND and it was still terrible quality... I'm not sure what I did wrong
harumia
harumia
Conversationalist

Singing Alias : kyaami Posts : 152

http://harumia.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DijiDori Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:54 pm

Had what thing set to high?

NND follows a whole other set of rules and requires more complicated instructions then are in this thread. I'll write it up... eventually.

DijiDori

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciel Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:20 am

Stickied the post for people's references : D
Ciel
Ciel
Retired Staff

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1

http://flavors.me/justciel

Back to top Go down

Post by konoame Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:37 am

Just sharing small things I've tried neko

I *never* encode my video for upload neko

Assuming you are using existing PVs from NND without any modification or editing, there's no need for encoding. In fact, we should avoid it. We're not dealing with GBs of raw HDTV broadcast dump if we get our source video from streaming sites, they've handled it for us and the rest should be much easier.

The magic here is called 'muxing', we won't re-encode the video, a process which will degrade the quality. Let's imagine a video from NND reprinted to YT, in this process YT will re-encode that video. Then, you download the YT reprint, and using VirtualDub re-encode it to avi, upload it to YT where they'll do yet another encoding. That's a re-encode of a re-encode of a re-encode. More blocks, more color bands, uglier video Sweat
Indeed, encoding is a difficult art which takes years to master (I can't do it well either).
Instead of encoding, we'll keep the video intact, discard the original audio and then put your mixdown in place of the original audio. You'll save much time if you avoid encoding. Muxing only takes several seconds while encoding takes at least several minutes on a dual core PC/laptop with 50% or more workload for the CPU.

First, prepare your final mixdown as 160kbps AAC (that's the max for typical streaming sites, you can set it lower if you only have low quality off-vocal and/or low quality recording result). If your DAW can't export AAC, export it as .wav (or .flac) or other lossless format. We'll do it in such way that there's no lossy-to-lossy audio encoding.

You'll need to download the video from NND using any flash downloader of your choice. It has to be from NND for the best result, not YT reprint.

To 'mux' the video, set your video converter settings as explained below:
Video codec/compression: 'copy' (not x264 or other)
Audio codec: this depends on your mixdown, but we'll need AAC audio. If you already export the mixdown in AAC format, set it as 'copy', if not, set it as 'aac' 160kbps. AAC encoder in a professional DAW might be better than one in your free encoding software, so you should have your mixdown prepared as AAC if you're using AA or other pro-tools.
Output format: mp4. AVI doesn't handle x264 well and it's the preferred upload format for streaming sites.

As for detailed procedures, it depends on which video converter you are using. The easiest shortcut is using mkvmerge-GUI (just works out of the box since it can only mux without any encoding features), but you'll get an MKV file instead of MP4. YT accepts MKV files but I've never tried submitting MKV to NND.

If you want to add subtitles, overlay your artwork etc you'll have no other choice but to encode the video. It can be quite costly, depending on what stuff you're putting on the video. For example, we'll have to adjust CRF value by -2 for adding typical printed subtitle (hardsub), this significantly increases the final output file size and encoding time.

CMIIW. Needs more help and explanation from experts here neko

konoame
Fresh off the Boat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down