Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» [MONTHLY THEME] April: Reach as High as You Can~Due April 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:42 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:36 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:33 pm

» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Uniqflame Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] January: Bittersweet Chocolate~Due January 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 am

» ✾ Faeri's Covers ✾
by FaeriMagic Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:22 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] December: Snow Day~Due December 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:10 pm

Mixer? \(; A ;)/

5 posters

Go down

Mixer? \(; A ;)/ Empty Mixer? (; A ;)/

Post by NataChan Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi~ My name is Nata ; A ; ) And I have a horrible quality mic. It ruins my dubs especially when I have to go to a high note or scream!! I try my best to fix it by using the Amplify button on Audacity, but it still sounds pretty awful and doesn't make dubbing fun when I have to be super concious about my mic fizzing out or whatever ; n ; )

Examples of my ugly mic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWqQ2Hyqwt8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JtBOSsPF0Q

Umm, so if anyone out there would be willing to be a mixer for me, pleaseeee QAQ) I need some help... And I have no idea how to do ANYTHING but Autotune and record my voice. > n <) That's all~ Thankyou!
NataChan
NataChan

Singing Alias : NataChan Posts : 33

https://www.youtube.com/fandubalanatachan

Back to top Go down

Mixer? \(; A ;)/ Empty Re: Mixer? \(; A ;)/

Post by Kago Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:48 pm

Actually, your mic quality isn't THAT bad o.o. Your voice is softer than the BGM. But that can be fixed.

What you can do is that, after recording your voice, noise remove your unwanted noise. I'm not sure how Audacity works because I'm using adobe audition for quite sometime. You can google it or have someone here explain it for you =x
Now, Adjust the volume of DIFFERENT PARTS of your singing that you wish to make it louder/softer.
Amplify your whole vocal recording to the optimum level where by your voice is not distorted ( When it exceeds the db line, then it's too much. )

Tip: Erm, when you scream, pull your mic away x_x. If not, your recording for the screaming will be distorted whereby you hear all the static or whatever it's called. There is no fix for distorted recordings ~.~

I'm no professional/expert. I'm just coming from experience so, forgive me if I said anything wrong LostSoul .

Btw, you sound not bad XD!

Last edited by Kago on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Kago
Kago
Talkative

Singing Alias : Kago / カゴ Posts : 569

My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kago4eva?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherysh Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:48 am

Make sure you use noise and/or hiss removal.

I would also recommend using dynamic processing and then amplify as well.

And like Kago has said, when you scream try to put your mic further away from yourself.

If you need more help, google is your best friend.
Cherysh
Cherysh
Talkative

Sakura No Ame Chorus Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Carette Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:33 am

Off topic: I LOVE "LOVE IS WAR" AND I THINK YOU SANG IT WELL <3
Hahaha okay back to topic.
I am no expert but I may be able to help .. maybe not x_x since I use adobe audition most of the time. (I use audacity last time though!)
I have a horrible and cheap mic as well, no noise cancellation, no condenser, no whatsoever except for the fact that I can use it to record my voice -___-
The worst thing that can ever happen is when I blow air into my mic, it is very difficult to remove those when you're cleaning the vocals. '

So one of the best ways to stop the blowing air thing and distorted high notes is to put the mic further away from you, and then amplify the whole track like what Cherysh and Kago said! It really helps in singing those high notes without distorting your sound quality.

Do you use noise, hiss and click removal? I think those are the most useful effects that can be used to clean your vocals Smile
Maybe you can try hard limiting as well, limit and compress your whole vocal track since that it only reaches certain db. (I tried that once, it didn't really work that well for me but you can try Smile )

One last advice: change your mic if you really want a good and full sound :X I don't think your mic is that bad though Smile
Even if you have a horrible mic, mastering and cleaning your vocals is the key to make your recording sounds nice! Keep on working on it~
Carette
Carette
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Carette / カレット Posts : 682

My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/xCarettex

Back to top Go down

Post by mong Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:25 am

I think your mic isn't really horrible per se; your problem is more of a peaking and popping issue, which are the two things that are hardest to remove when mixing XD Like others said, to avoid this just make sure you're recording with the mic farther away or setting the mic volume on the mic itself lower (assuming it has that XD). As for popping, you can either make a pop screen yourself or just keep your mic at an angle so the p sounds don't enter directly into the mic. Another tip I'd recommend is putting a pillow behind your mic or recording in a closet if you're closet's big enough-- it absorbs a lot of the background sounds and reverb so the track comes out cleaner overall.

For gaining mixing-fu, also check out this thread persona posted- it's really helpful and covers loads of tips on how to make your mic sound better: https://ytchorus.forumotion.com/recording-mixing-help-f20/the-beginner-s-guide-to-mixing-audacity-t1687.htm
mong
mong
Chorus Staff

Banner Decorator * 1 Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

Back to top Go down

Post by NataChan Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:54 am

Thankyou to all ; u ; )
I will try these new suggestions <333
NataChan
NataChan

Singing Alias : NataChan Posts : 33

https://www.youtube.com/fandubalanatachan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content