Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» [MONTHLY THEME] May: Make Space for Space~Due May 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Today at 5:28 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] April: Reach as High as You Can~Due April 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:36 pm

» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Uniqflame Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] January: Bittersweet Chocolate~Due January 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 am

» ✾ Faeri's Covers ✾
by FaeriMagic Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:22 pm

Manga Recommendations?

+10
C2yaya
mong
Hanamiko
Aeon
Hisui.Emmerich
Unidentified Child
Akemi
SilverWalker
Syn
Rei
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Manga Recommendations? - Page 2 Empty Re: Manga Recommendations?

Post by Tsukiyo Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:13 pm

@Aeon: W Juliet sounds interesting. I've never heard of it before. D:

@Mong: What do you mean weird? xD Your taste is my taste apparently because I love Monster and 20th Century Boys. Bokurano is something I would have gotten into as well. Rabbit Doubt sounds interesting. :D Can you tell I like the mindscrew genre?

Hm. Recommendations.

Title: Angel Sanctuary
Genre: Let's see. Adventure, Romance, Shoujo (though I think it should be Josei at least), Supernatural. Hints of BL, though that depends on how you look at the complex relationships. Incest. There is gore and disturbing imagery. Uh, and religious things. Don't take it too seriously if you get offended by it. It addresses some things in Christianity/Catholicism with the angels and all.
Summary: [copied from onemanga] The angel Alexiel loved God, but she rebelled against Heaven when she saw how disgracefully the other angels were behaving. She was finally captured, and as punishment sent to Earth to live an endless series of tragic lives. She now inhabits the body of Setsuna Mudo, a troubled teen in love with his sister Sara. Setsuna's misery mirrors the chaos among the angels, and their combined passions threaten to destroy both Heaven and Earth.

Honestly, this is one of my favorite manga series. The artwork is beautiful, the story overwhelmingly tragic and complex, and all the characters are profound and well-developed. I don't think there is a single character in this series that I actually hate because Kaori Yuki creates her characters and develops them so well. Even if the character is a villian (or seems to be a villian.. 8D ), by the time you're fully introduced to them, you understand them well enough that it's impossible to hate them completely. The length might be a bit daunting, but it's not as long as some other series out there. 20 volumes and I keep wishing there were more. The plot is genius and the number of plot twists she puts into this should be illegal. And then there are some plot holes, but none that are so bad that they distract you.

And then anything else by Kaori Yuki, especially the Cain Saga. Another masterpiece like Angel Sanctuary. Think Kuroshitsuji, except darker. And then there are definite BL hints this one. Kaori Yuki really goes for the "forbidden relationships" type of story, as well as the completely screwed up relationships as well.

Other, more well-known series:

Loveless, Fullmetal Alchemist, both of which are complete genius.
Tsukiyo
Tsukiyo
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : 狼月 Posts : 705

Back to top Go down

Post by mong Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:02 am

@Tsukiyo: Homg you are the first person I have met who reads and loves Naoki Urasawa too ;A; you get 5000 awesome points for that. *_* Bokurano is one of my favorite manga, you should totally check it out. :D

I've only watched the Angel Sanctuary OVA,which was apparently really really condensed. :O I may have to check to the manga one day~

More recs~

Liar Game
110 Chapters-ongoing
Mystery, Suspense, High stake game (apparently o_O)

Summary: (copypastaed from onemanga)
Congratulations! You are one of the 1 in 100,000 people who have been entered in the amazing LIAR GAME TOURNAMENT!
Along with the postcard there are 100 million yen in notes. That's the beginning of the Liar Game. When the game ends, in 30 days, you will have to return your 100 million. If your opponent steals them, he can keep them as a prize, and you will have a debt of 100 million...

The show reminds me a bit of Death Note with its scheming and One outs for its awesome outrageous tactics. :D It's a really fun read and the facial distortions=WIN.

I'd also recommend something by Kaoru Mori, but her stories tend to be slice of life and fairly slow, which puts a lot of potential readers off. >< BUT MY GOD, THAT WOMAN CAN DRAW. *____* If you have the patience, her works are really nice as well. <3
mong
mong
Chorus Staff

Banner Decorator * 1 Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsukiyo Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 am

@mong: Ahaha, oh yes, Liar Game. xD "High stakes apparently" is very true, lol. xP It is a very fun read.

\o/ Naoki Urasawa is a geniusssss. Yeah, I haven't found very many other fans either. They hide from us. D:

Bokurano sounds really cool. I'll check it out sometime today. Rabbit Doubt was freaky and very Higurashi-esque. Paranoia much. xD

Kaoru Mori... Hmmm. What series has she done? And her art style is beautiful :O
Tsukiyo
Tsukiyo
Motor Mouth

Back to top Go down

Post by mong Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:13 am

@Tsukiyo: Hahaa, yes, it's ridiculously entertaining. 8'D It's so bad when the wait for the next chapter is on though O_O

I'm sure that there are like, loads of them out there or else they wouldn't have bothered making a movie. :O They're all just hiding. >D

Kaoru Mori did Emma and Shirley, which are both about Victorian maids, hahaaa. Her current one, Otoyomegatari, is set in the Middle East though. And the art is akjldsfh. *___*
mong
mong
Chorus Staff

Banner Decorator * 1 Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeon Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:49 pm

@Tsukiyo:
W Juliet is a really old series now. It never really made it big here, but yeah.. it's a funny story.

I've got more:

OURAN
ongoing?
does anyone NOT know this story...? Theres a club of pretty and smart guys in this school for the super rich. Fujioka Haruhi, lower middle class scholarship student, stumbles into the club room and breaks a really expensive vase. He/She/It is recruited as a host to pay off the debt.

My brothers & I (or maybe it was Me and My Brothers...)
???
Sakura's parents died, and her grandma who was taking care of her also dies. One day after school, she goes home to find 4 guys who claim to be her brothers she never heard of.

Hayate the Combat Butler
???
Hayate's good for nothing parents have gotten deep in debt. So much so that they've sold his organs to the mafia and run away Christmas Eve. Hayate runs for his life, meets a young girl, and makes a plan to kidnap her for ransom, but somehow... he winds up saving her and then working for her

Fairy Tale
ongoing
guilds, magic, quests, and stuff. Lucy Heartfilia: blonde girl who uses celestial spirits and wants to join the famoud Fairy Tale guild. Natsu: Dragon slayer, taught by a dragon, Igneel, who is searching for that dragon and is a member of Fairy Tale. He tends to destroy things and can work as a walking clothes dryer. Gray: Ice wizard who randomly strips. Erza: Strongest woman of Fairy Tale. Happy: Talking cat.
basically about their adventures.
Aeon
Aeon
Hyperactive SUGAR HIGH

Singing Alias : aeon Posts : 1683

I'm on the spice rack! Ai Kotoba II Chorus Ai Kotoba II Words Blind Duets Participant SMILING Participant Tako Luka Maguro Fever Event Participant Box of Cheer ٩๏̯͡๏۶ Participant YTC 2015 Blind Duet Participant Monthly Theme Participant (1/4)

Back to top Go down

Post by rosewisteria Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:39 am

Hiya~ Man so many good manga already listed here! But here is one I especially recommend because one, it's old and two, it has romance in it~ And I adore JOSEI sooo much so... ^^;;

Title: MARS
Genre: Drama, Josei, Mystery, Psychological, Romance, School Life, Shoujo, Slice Of Life
Summary: Kira, a shy high school student, lives only for her art. Rei, An arrogant, rebellious and violent playboy, wears his delinquency like a badge of honor. They are exact opposites in every way, but when Kira sees Rei kissing a statue of Mars, she overcomes her fears and asks him to model for her. And, to everyone's surprise, Rei agrees.

And I like to add that your username especially remind me of Rei from this manga <3
rosewisteria
rosewisteria
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Minnie/Jez Posts : 679

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2

http://rosewisteria.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsukiyo Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:12 am

@rosewisteria: Ahaha, MARS. I never read the manga, but I saw the Chinese drama made from it. 8D Mmm, yeah.

Anyway, I like Josei genre. I'll check it out. :D
Tsukiyo
Tsukiyo
Motor Mouth

Back to top Go down

Post by Kicchan Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:35 am

Hanamiko wrote:OH! RABBIT DOUBT FOR SURE.

It was pretty damn cool. It reminds me of SAW, for some reason. Haha.

Nice recommendation! ;D

I love Rabbit Doubt~ I am waiting for the last book in france O_O
Kicchan
Kicchan
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : TBK, TheBakaKit Posts : 1121

Sakura No Ame Chorus Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story

https://www.facebook.com/TheBakaKitsune

Back to top Go down

Post by rosewisteria Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:36 pm

@Tsukiyo There's a drama based off it?! *finds it* ^.^
rosewisteria
rosewisteria
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Minnie/Jez Posts : 679

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2

http://rosewisteria.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by magical_wishes Sat May 01, 2010 1:17 am

No pic, sorry XD Anyway, I just finished reading this series and I keep thinking back to how good it was ^o^

Title: Battle Royale

Genre: Action, Horror, Thriller... I guess :S It's really not for the faint of heart. Has coarse language, bad violence, sex, rape... yeah it pretty much has it all XD

Summary: I'm surprised no one has brought this one up - I would've thought this had a classic status XD. Anyway, a more gore-tastic and detailed version of the 2000 film Battle Royale. The general idea is that a class of year 9 students are kidnapped and put into a harsh and cruel game/program, where they're given an island and a weapon each, and have to fight to the death. Think Hunger Games, but worse/better. (By worse I mean more hardcore. By better I mean... just so much better XD) The art is really oldschool and the plot is very detailed with a lot of characters. Gets cliched and unrealistic at times, and its SO LONG for something that's meant to happen in only 3 days, but it's worth the read Smile
Anyway, this mangaka has obviously never heard of the discretion shot, because every single gory bit is drawn up close in detail.
magical_wishes
magical_wishes
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Singing Alias : Mary-la ~ Posts : 133

https://www.youtube.com/user/magicalwishesmezza

Back to top Go down

Post by mong Sat May 01, 2010 2:32 am

@magical_wishes: UGH Battle Royale. *___* I want to read it so badly, but the manga stores I go to don't have it and it's not on mangafox. D:

And also, another recommendation~

Monster
Mangaka: Naoki Urasawa
Genre: Thriller, Psychological, Suspense, Horror, (and according to wiki it's Detective Fiction. :D)
Finished: 162 chapters, 18 Volumes

Summary: The story is basically about Dr Kenzou Tenma, a genius brain surgeon, who goes on a search for a psychopath/serial killer whose life he once saved. It's... a lot more complicated and interesting than I make it sound. XD

I've been a huge sucker for Naoki Urasawa, but I was a bit hesitant on recommending this manga because it's violent, mature (one of the characters is a prostitute and there are lots of tripe to red-light districts) and may give little kids nightmares because of those fairy tales. XD But in all honesty, this manga is fantastic. *____* You just want to find out more and more about the titular 'Monster', and you get to love almost all of the characters (I say almost because for the duration of the manga Roberto still freaks me out so much). If you like Psycho-drama-thrillers with some philosophical themes and horror, please check this out. You will not regret it. *0*

Uh, on a random note, has anyone read Uzumaki? I'm considering reading it, but I hear from everyone that's it's...really really scary, and I kind of want to know exactly how horrible it is before I go on. XD

Last edited by mong on Sat May 01, 2010 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
mong
mong
Chorus Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by magical_wishes Sat May 01, 2010 2:34 am

Not on mangafox? Dude, last I checked it was O_O
Haha silly silly Razz Here it is:
CLICK
It's really long so have fun XD

... Has anyone read Gantz?
magical_wishes
magical_wishes
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Back to top Go down

Post by mong Sat May 01, 2010 2:39 am

...Wait, how come I didn't see that there? O_O Obviously I'm crap at looking up things. XD Thank you so much for the link! ;A;
mong
mong
Chorus Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by magical_wishes Sat May 01, 2010 2:41 am

LOL Razz No problem XDDD
Feel free to rant to me about it if the story gets infuriating or scary or whatever xD My friends had to stand me screaming to them about it, and they had no idea what I was talking about >.>
magical_wishes
magical_wishes
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Back to top Go down

Post by mong Sun May 02, 2010 3:40 am

lol, will do. XD Seeing as how I've went all OMGNOOO@__@ at the first gory shots they began to stick on the page. XDDDD
mong
mong
Chorus Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by magical_wishes Sun May 02, 2010 5:43 am

Yeah lol they just love to show everything in exaggerted detail don't they? XD BUT IT'S SO GOOD THO :DDD
magical_wishes
magical_wishes
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsukiyo Sun May 02, 2010 11:43 am

Monsterrrr and Battle Royaleeeee. Love them. :D Disturbing psychologically and gory, respectively.

Speaking of faint of heart, here, have a rec.

Basilisk
Genre: action, anime, martial arts, mature, seinen, tragedy, samurai/ninja (DO NOT THINK NARUTO), romance
Summary:(Taken from onemanga) The Iga clan and the Kouga clan have been sworn enemies for more than four hundred years. Only the Hanzo Hattori truce has kept the two families from all-out war. Now, under the order of Shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa, the truce has finally been dissolved. Ten ninja from each clan must fight to the death in order to determine who will be the next Tokugawa Shogun. The surviving clan will rule for the next thousand years.
But not all the clan members are in agreement. Oboro of the Iga clan and Gennosuke of the Kouga clan have fallen deeply in love. Now these star-crossed lovers have been pitted against each other. Can their romance conquer a centuries-old rivalry? Or is their love destined to end in death?

I've read this multiple times because it's so good. Not your average ninja story and I love it. Whatever you thought when you saw the word, it's not Naruto.
Very mature, with some explicit scenes of death, gore, sexual situations, etc. but if you can get past that, you're looking at a tragic Romeo-Juliet-esque love story. Although the basic plot is generic, there is enough additionals and small twists added in that make it interesting.
The art is well-done, realistic yet unique enough to really portray each character's personalities and powers. Some characters WILL creep you out, which is exactly what the mangaka intended. (Actually, most of the characters creeped me out at least once, except maybe Oboro.) While not my preferred style, it was well-executed and very effective in the storyline. Well worth a read.
It's also an anime series if you want to check it out. Onemanga recently had to take it down though because it got licensed. Dunno where else you can find it. xD

@mong: Just because you said that it was scary, I'm going to go check out Uzumaki. xD
Tsukiyo
Tsukiyo
Motor Mouth

Back to top Go down

Post by C2yaya Thu May 06, 2010 9:54 pm

A Shiawase Kissa Sanchoume
Genre: Romance, Comedy, Shoujo
Summary:
Uru is a very short girl and is constantly mistaken for an elementary school kid (actually in high school), but despite that, she is ridiculously strong and decides to live by herself after her mother gets remarried. She ends up working at a small cafe (Bonheur) with two rather unique co-workers: Shindou, who acts gruff and intimidating, but who is really a nice guy who loves to make cakes and pies and Ichirou, a really good-looking but who instantly falls asleep when he gets hungry and doesn't wake up again until he's force-fed something? What will the future bring to them?
C2yaya
C2yaya

http://c2yaya.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 06, 2010 10:42 pm

hhmmm.. well it depends of what kind of manga you like..
if it's romance
i would recommend you kaichou wa maid-sama
or dengeki daisy ( well.. i heard that it ewas good)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 06, 2010 10:47 pm

hhmmm.. well it depends of what kind of manga you like..
if it's romance
i would recommend you kaichou wa maid-sama
or dengeki daisy ( well.. i heard that it was good)

Last edited by junieangel on Thu May 06, 2010 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei Thu May 06, 2010 10:53 pm

I've read it both. xD
Rei
Rei
Hyperactive SUGAR HIGH

Singing Alias : れいれい Posts : 1669

Sakura No Ame Chorus Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story YTC 2015 Blind Duet Participant

http://reili.blog127.fc2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 06, 2010 10:58 pm

oh.. I see...
then maybe... hiyokoi? kimi ni todoke, plastic girl? kanojo wa uso wo aishisugiteru? you can read other mangas of the same authors..
the best i read so far is Suki desu suzuki-kun! and Ikeyamada GO's mangas a really good even though i don't really like smut things...
i hope i helped you..

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2