Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» [MONTHLY THEME] May: Make Space for Space~Due May 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Wed May 01, 2024 5:28 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:29 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] April: Reach as High as You Can~Due April 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:36 pm

» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Uniqflame Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] January: Bittersweet Chocolate~Due January 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 am

» ✾ Faeri's Covers ✾
by FaeriMagic Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:22 pm

excuses doesn't make you a better singer =3=)p

+7
Aussei
Henshin Pen Lemon
Kemi
Coda
Una
Imagase
irO
11 posters

Go down

excuses doesn't make you a better singer =3=)p  Empty excuses doesn't make you a better singer =3=)p

Post by Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:20 pm

AHHHHHHHHHH HI =3=)v This is me ranting. I'm having a very very very bad day! So yeah ♥
owo)b + don't take this personally, this is more of a general thing. =w=)b
Chances are it doesn't apply to you ♥
And I'm not usually this bitchy.

There are people who say "Aw, sorry this cover is so bad, my microphone is cheap & and I used audacity to mix."

SORRY, SWEETY. D8< Using better mixing programs & getting a $200 mic won't help you fix your tone deaf-ness. There are people on here that use a cheap mic & audacity and still sound beautiful. ;v;)/ ♥!!

(And yeah, I know there are people who actually have a beautiful voice but have a bad mic / can't mix. (♥) But that's not usually the case. )

BUT AHHHH when NG singers get really fancy expensive equipment-- it makes me sad TT3TT
save your money for vocal lessons, if you're that serious.. orz

-sigh-

anyways. do you guys see anything excuses that peeve you like that?
please tell me how you feel too
(unless I'm the only person opinionated on this-- because that's fine too. OTL )

just.. don't taking anything said personally guys. ;v; ♥

Back to top Go down

excuses doesn't make you a better singer =3=)p  Empty Re: excuses doesn't make you a better singer =3=)p

Post by irO Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 am

(And yeah, I know there are people who actually have a beautiful HORRIBLE voice but have a bad mic / can't mix. (♥)

HEY THAT'S ME *brick'd*

sometimes i kind of agree, but that's ultimately their choice to spend all their money. I guess it has to do with sense of priorities and knowing your own limits and faults?

and it does make me kind of mad that some blame it on Audacity...people fail to realize Audacity is actually a great tool and there's nothing lacking in it D<
irO
irO
iPost'a'Lot

Singing Alias : いろ Posts : 2740
Location : in a cardboard box that's in a room that's in a house that's in a city that's in a province that's in Canada

https://www.youtube.com/user/Oriolis

Back to top Go down

excuses doesn't make you a better singer =3=)p  Empty Re: excuses doesn't make you a better singer =3=)p

Post by Imagase Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:17 am

@Yanovi

aww yanovi ranting |D so cute *pat pat*
its okay yanovi. =A= I feel you.

one of the problem I see are those people, who can't take criticism well, and when you're just mentioning a small fault like "you're off key" and they rant 2349820403 ways why its not perfect, and you shouldn't judge too harsh. Pfft yeah right, like I am gonna listen to your excuse 8D

Imagase
Imagase
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Back to top Go down

Post by Una Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:41 am

Spoiler:

Definitely this. Why post your singing up if you can't take criticism? I mean, that's just stupid D8< How can you expect people to hear your yet-to-be-properly-developed, pitchy voice and go all "OHMAIGAWWWD. UWAAAAAA. CHUUR LIEK. SO AWEESOMMEEEE. *SUBBIESSSS* *FANGIRLS* KYAAAAA~!" If you can't take criticism, then don't post.

Well hey, everyone's a critic >_> This is just imo, but I think some people are too nice to critique someone, instead they praise them by telling them that they're so awesome and stuff. So, that person thinks that he/she really is awesome, even if he/she might be really off-pitch. I mean, they're just giving that person false hope, don't you think?

Some people might actually just give an excuse because they're lazy to explain themselves to some random stranger who commented (*own experience* -SHOT-).

I know not everyone's born with the ability to recognise notes, but i guess instead of giving excuses, they should just say something like "Thanks for the comment! I'll take what you said in stride and try to improve myself! 8D". Or something. OTL

*went off-topic*

~Una

Last edited by Una on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Una
Una
Talkative

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1

https://www.youtube.com/user/Unawhut

Back to top Go down

Post by Coda Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:14 am

Una wrote:Well hey, everyone's a critic >_> This is just imo, but I think some people are too nice to critique someone, instead they praise them by telling them that they're so awesome and stuff. So, that person thinks that he/she really is awesome, even if he/she might be really off-pitch. I mean, they're just giving that person false hope, don't you think?

I totally agree with that. When I listen to someone and they're really off-key, I see comments of how awesome they are or their version is really beautiful. I always wondered about that and I think to myself ,"Really??!! They think it's pretty?! or Really?! they would go that far to make that person feel better?!". For me, I usually think twice about commenting to that person's video because if I critique(sometimes I can be pretty harsh), like Mikura said, they will probably rant a lot of excuses about it, and if they're really that bad, I can't really praise them xD. So, I just choose to leave and not comment at all... Of course, it's only natural to critique once a person sees a video/music.
Coda
Coda
Conversationalist

Dango Daikazoku Chorus My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2

https://www.youtube.com/user/poyiebee?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemi Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:43 am

I think...I fit into the excuses type person. \o/ *can't sing, can't mix, uses lame equipment* OTL
Kemi
Kemi
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Kemi Posts : 945

My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagase Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:45 am

Una wrote:
Some people might actually just give an excuse because they're lazy to explain themselves to some random stranger who commented (*own experience* -SHOT-).

well, yeah, that too. there are some covers that are meant for fun, more or less, just not meant for a critiqued piece. But there is just always those random people out there that just gotta post, because he/she just doesn't quite understand.

kemi-tama wrote:I think...I fit into the excuses type person. \o/ *can't sing, can't mix, uses lame equipment* OTL

Kemi Tan 8D Really?

So that means, I can rant about how such a coward you are then? And how pathetic/ can't take a critique to save a life, to people? 8D?
Imagase
Imagase
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Back to top Go down

Post by Una Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:22 am

kemi-tama wrote:I think...I fit into the excuses type person. \o/ *can't sing, can't mix, uses lame equipment* OTL

Excuse spotted (=w=)b Idk, maybe people should be more confident about their voice. I mean, i've heard people who have really bad mics, but they still sing out properly and I can tell that they have really amazing voices. Also, i find "i can't sing" pretty obnoxious :/ I mean, if someone thinks they can't sing, then why are they posting stuff up in the first place? I'm pretty sure they know, or at least think they can sing, but want people to tell them how good they are. Nothing wrong with that, really. But if they still say "I really suck. I can't sing." after idk, 10 videos or something, then what's the point?

It's like someone who thinks they're ugly showing up at a modelling agency. They might be really pretty, but think they look like a pig. So people will go up to them and go all like "No you're pretty!" and then the person would be like "No I'm not!" and then the whole thing just repeats again and again until the person actually gets the guts to just say "Thank You" to a compliment.

I generally see excuses as either a way to fish compliments and sympathy (like, "OHNOEXZ. DON'T SING WHILE YUUR SICK SDKJLALSEFDSJH. EYE STILL THINK YUU SOUND REALLY AWESOME.") *sneers*

I suupose i'm more lenient when it comes to "sick" excuses, provided i can hear the nasal-ness in their voice for that one song (or, many songs, idk). Mostly because i do use it too, and it'd be a contradiction for me to say "You shouldnt sing when you're sick". OTL

~Una

Una
Una
Talkative

Back to top Go down

Post by Henshin Pen Lemon Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:18 am

Oh, the sick excuse... I've definitely used that a couple times, though in my situation, I'm not NASAL, I'm unable to keep my voice up as long as I usually can; I'm overly prone to sore throats, so it's usually more of a *coughhacksorryIcan'tspeaknormallyhackhack* sick. The other kind of sick I usually am, well, let's just say that even sitting or sleeping is impossible.

My problems with singing tend to be more along the lines of keeping language authenticity than anything else (Japanese Ls and Rs are lolwha, though I'm trying to learn them), but I can say that I'm not the best, and not because of mic or (bad, as I'm still learning) mixing. I highly doubt that poor voice control is your mic's fault; I get along with Audacity and (feel free to gag) a headset, but if you guys know of any really expensive mics that can improve my voice control, let me know!

(Note, that last part was sarcasm; I'm fully aware there is no such thing. XP )

Henshin Pen Lemon
Henshin Pen Lemon
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussei Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:26 pm

I dislike people who upload a song or piece of artwork that isn't even that bad and sit there and put in their description no matter what form of talent they are posting about, and put themselves down about it like, "Oh God I'm so bad, this drawing,song,whatever sucks so bad it's probably my worst." Why the F@#$ would you post you "shitty" art/song up if you don't even like it yourself?

Oh man maybe if I post my crappy stuff up that isn't really crappy but I'll say it is anyways so 28739274 ppl can comment out of sympathy and tell me, "NOOOOOOOOO IT DUN SUUUUCK SO KAWAII DESU NYA PRETTY KIREI DESSSSSUUUUUUUUUUU"

I understand, being a member of DeviantART and YouTube is so damn important, you need to be popular like hell and get as many comments and views and subscribers/watchers as possible so that your e-penis may extend to the moon. Must do ANYTHING for attention!!!!

....Wait, am I still in High School or what??
Aussei
Aussei

Singing Alias : Val Posts : 22

http://ausseinovenia.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Una Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Henshin Pen Lemon wrote:Oh, the sick excuse... I've definitely used that a couple times, though in my situation, I'm not NASAL, I'm unable to keep my voice up as long as I usually can;

Ah yes yes o: This too. I wonder why I didnt realize this before >_>;

@Aussei:

Internet is serious business yo O8< -SHOT- OTL *fail*
Mehs idk >_> There are A LOT of these kinda people (just take a few clicks down to the auditions section). 8D;
Sad to say, but I suppose it IS like high school, what with all the different cliques here. >A>

~Una
Una
Una
Talkative

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:21 pm

Ah. I've never actually encountered people on YouTube blaming how terrible their covers are at their mixing and microphone, when in actuality their own singing are the ones messing up their cover, so I can't really talk about that...

Though, like everyone else has mentioned, there are so many people around the world who put themselves down (even in these forums, I might add, no offense and all), so those kinds of people are, er, boring, to say the least. I may figure that they're just trying to be humble, but an attitude like that isn't exactly what being humble truly is--if they were trying to be humble in the first place, of course. I would think that simply not calling yourself the "greatest singer ever" and saying nothing at all is more modest than degrading yourself by noting how much you suck as a singer.

Spoiler:

yanovi wrote:And yeah, I know there are people who actually have a beautiful voice but have a bad mic / can't mix. (♥) But that's not usually the case.
Yeah, it really isn't the case, but I'm gonna throw in a little opinion here. Personally, I think the ones who really know they sing beautifully are the ones who pay more attention to the quality of their microphone and mixing; meanwhile, there's a higher percentage of sloppy, careless "it's just a cover" people--the ones YouTube is unfortunately full of, mind you--who sing terribly with bad microphone and mixing. They're not taking the whole singing/covering seriously, so why bother buying a better microphone and borrowing some decent mixing skills?

Of course, their ignorance also crosses over to their singing. They probably do like singing or admire people singing at least; they just can't seem to sing, whether it's using the wrong techniques to sing or being tone deaf. Yet... they post videos on YouTube of their mediocrity without having a single clue of how much they goddamn suck.

Oh, such a cruel fate YouTube is slapped in the face with. Certainly deserves it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Oh my. xD
I think I'm the type who likes to make excuses. I noticed descriptions in my videos, some even sound "defensive" it's embarrassing /w\ I guess I just talk too much.

>> can't mix
this... is so me. orz"

Aussei wrote:I dislike people who upload a song or piece of artwork that isn't even that bad and sit there and put in their description no matter what form of talent they are posting about, and put themselves down about it like, "Oh God I'm so bad, this drawing,song,whatever sucks so bad it's probably my worst." Why the F@#$ would you post you "shitty" art/song up if you don't even like it yourself?
Ohgod this. I usually do this. orz.

Although not that extreme like "THIS IS SO HORRIBLE SAJHKSA". Those people who say that just to fish compliments should just. IDK. 8(

I sometimes "put myself down"(?) because I'm not really satisfied with the outcome...
Satisfaction or what's good/bad is always subjective and different to any other person. I say my flaws because I realize it and, really apologize for people who will most likely dislike that part anyway. However I think that "this isn't bad, I guess I'll upload it". I often sing/record, and if I'm not satisfied with the result, I won't bother mixing / uploading. Why would I do that =w= *wait, I did that once. orz.

</end of excuse>

or is it just my low self esteem orz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:44 pm

*あず wrote:Satisfaction or what's good/bad is always subjective and different to any other person. I say my flaws because I realize it and, really apologize for people who will most likely dislike that part anyway. However I think that "this isn't bad, I guess I'll upload it".
And I'll question this: why do you have to apologize to the people listening for a part of the song you think is bad? You just said that "what's good or bad is always subjective and different to any other person"--how do you know your so-called "flaw" is actually bad for other people? Why note something negative in the first place?

(I'm sorry if I feel like I'm picking you apart, I'm sorry if I do sound like I am. Wink)

One of my friends is a cover artist/singer, too. She used to note flaws in her covers all the time. This is what one person on one of her videos commented:
And, by the way. I suggest you delete your negative description and negative annotations. They almost make people LOOK for your errors. Show more confidence in your piece, after all,  it's already been posted and it's no use making excuses for how "bad" you did. Show more pride, you know you did a beautiful job; you don't need any pity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:29 am

LMAO that's okay :> I understand. xD

The "subjective" thing was for people who think "why is he/she saying it's bad, it's not" then thinks the singer only seeks attention (then begin hating); while say, in reality the singer really thinks that it's not really satisfactory (maybe he/she has higher standards? or low self-esteem? etc)

But yeah, it might be just me. xD

After reading my descriptions the other day (like any other viewers would read it) I felt a bit embarrassed and (sort of) promised myself that I won't make excuses anymore (which kinda became a habit orz)... Yes, it does look really bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by krannda Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:50 am

Haha excuses can also be a form of attention-seeking. I know some people who go "omfg im so bad!" expecting people to praise them going "Nononono you sound really cute!"

I personally find it annoying at times, but hey, everyone has the right to be the person they are, right? :\
I do sometimes wish they wouldn't do it so much.
krannda
krannda
I'm still alive?

Singing Alias : kran Posts : 1244

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

https://www.youtube.com/user/fxsynth

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzlekins Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:02 pm

I don't really make excuses too often, although when I'm looking back at my past work, I tend to think that it's not that good, and I could do much better now. Especially with art. I really don't like my old drawings. Dx

Besides, it really shouldn't be how people sound. If people enjoy singing, they should keep on doing it. If they just enjoy the attention, then that's not a very good reason. >3>
Fuzzlekins
Fuzzlekins
Talkative

Singing Alias : Fuzzle Posts : 445

Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration

https://www.youtube.com/user/Fuzzlekinz

Back to top Go down

Post by mong Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:37 pm

Hahaaa, there is this one artist I follow whom I absolutely love because her art is amazing, but every time she makes an excuse/apologises for something/says it sucks I feel like punching a brick wall. >:

My logic works like this: If you know the own flaws in you own works, why don't you fix them before you upload them? If it's something you don't know how to fix, why don't you a) go ask someone to help with this before you upload or b)ask for critiques when you upload instead of moaning about how much you suck in the video descriptions? You can argue that the uploader is just being modest, but there is a line between self-deprecating and modesty, and making excuses crosses into the territory of self-deprecation.

Also, as a viewer, I want to draw my own conclusions about the video I'm watching, not have someone tell me 'omg I'm so crap at this sorry sorry sorry' or 'I'm sick so this is going to suck'... Let the viewer decide whether the video sucks or not, and if we think it's good or needs improvement, we'll tell you in the comments. :D

/endsmeanpost

(also, Doubie, I lovelovelove your sig. Ryan Stiles and Whose Line are superamazing. <333)
mong
mong
Chorus Staff

Banner Decorator * 1 Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciel Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:25 pm

I...don't get the point of this post.

I don't know anyone in this world who doesn't give excuses. Even the posters who reply agreeing to this - you can't say you haven't tried giving excuses like "Ugh I had a cold when I recorded that" or something along similar lines of stupidity. I'm guilty as charge - "I don't know why but I was completely tonedeaf that day", "Was stuck with a cold so some of the high notes sound really awful", "Totally don't know how to mix this type of song" etc. I've literally spouted those out of my mouth/fingers while KNOWING they're excuses for why I suck XD.

So is there really a point to this post...?

It's a free world, and if someone thinks buying an expensive microphone will make them better, then so be it. Maybe with the more expensive equipment, they'll be more motivated to practice and improve after all the money they spent on it - I know that was the case with me anyway. I didn't want my microphone to go to waste so I spent ages practicing and singing so that I could be on the "level" that was acceptable for a person owning a studio condenser microphone lmao.

I hate to say it but mixing is a big part of stuff though. A person with a great voice but shitty mixing will still sound shitty. Because good mixing brings out the best of a person's vocals. Say an amazing person who's really good at rock music sings like, Mozaik Role. But can't mix. So instead he/she sounds drowned out and tired. But if someone amazing mixed it and brought out their vocals, would there be a similar problem? Nope!

If you can't mix, ask a friend who can. Then that's one less excuse you're allowed to give yourself 8D
Ciel
Ciel
Retired Staff

http://flavors.me/justciel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:37 am

Oh wow.... I just fell in love with everyone in this topic (including Ciel who's against this topic). All of your philosophies are so similar to mine! It's so rare for me to find people that think like me.

I can completely relate to the people that dislike others that can't take criticism. I remember hearing a rather dull dub and I commented pointing out the person's strong points and mistakes that the person made and how to fix them. The person's response back to me showed no gratitude for sharing my insight but was rather aggressive towards me.

For the people that always go "adfhakjnk THIS IS SO BAD BUT I'M GOING TO UPLOAD IT ANYWAY!", I have mixed thoughts about these people. If they truly know it's bad, but proceeds to upload anyway, I really have no idea what's going through their heads... The ones that just say it to be "humble" are just attention seekers, but hey, who can blame them? There are many people in the world that seek attention and fame. I personally never ever upload anything (especially vocals) until I know it's the best that I can do with my current abilities. And even if it is the best, most of the time, I don't upload it because I'm afraid that it'll just humiliate me and I just keep on practicing until I get good enough for me think that others will really think that I truly did a good job instead of writing sugarcoated comments... I absolutely hate sugarcoating and getting sugarcoated....

kran117 wrote:Haha excuses can also be a form of attention-seeking. I know some people who go "omfg im so bad!" expecting people to praise them going "Nononono you sound really cute!"

I personally find it annoying at times, but hey, everyone has the right to be the person they are, right? :\
I do sometimes wish they wouldn't do it so much.
THANK YOU KRAN!!

I also agree with Ciel in the fact that when people buy expensive stuff, they want to continue to practice so that what they bought doesn't go to waste. This holds true especially for me, who gets about $100 per YEAR. I recently bought a $325 guitar and I've been practicing really hard ever since I got it :D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down