Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!

Mastering???

2 posters

Go down

Mastering??? Empty Mastering???

Post by Katerinu Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi, folks! So, I'm having trouble... well, I've always had this trouble.
I've been mixing my own stuff since the very beginning. And over the years I've come to find I do a heck of a good job! Sometimes something might get misplaced, but usually I'm pretty good at catching those things! I can mix until the sun comes up, I can add whatever effect I need and bada bing bada boom! But there's ONE THING i've never managed to learn.
MASTERING
I always thought it was just a lot of volume shifting but after years of just doing THAT i've found that isn't necessarily the case!! It's a concept I'm failing to grasp ;A; I'd love if someone could teach me some basics, show me the way to becoming a master at mastering!

Programs I use: Wavepad, Vegas 7.0, Melodyne (basic) I also have audacity but I rarely use it anymore.
Katerinu
Katerinu

Singing Alias : MoonNue Posts : 45

http://katerinu.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Mastering??? Empty Re: Mastering???

Post by AmyAnn Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:30 am

Adobe Audition is the program I use and it has everything pretty much in there. It's the one I hear everyone else using, too.

With Audacity, maybe try this:
Click "Edit" in the main tool bar and highlight "Select." Click on the "All" option from within the Select drop-down menu.

Click "Effect" in the main tool bar and select "Normalize." Enter a value of "0.0" into the dB field, and make sure that both check boxes are ticked. Click the "OK" button to normalize the audio.

Click "Effect" in the main tool bar and select "Equalization." Click the "Select Curve" drop-down menu to expand the selection of equalization curves. Select the desired equalization curve from the list by clicking on it. Press the "Preview" button to hear a sample of your audio with the applied equalization curve.

Click within the Equalization Grid to add new points to the curve. Click and drag the curve to reposition it within the grid. Press the "Preview" button to hear a sample of your audio with the altered equalization curve. Continue manipulating the curve until you are satisfied with the result.

Click the "OK" button within the Equalizer menu to apply the equalization curve to the audio file.
AmyAnn
AmyAnn
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Aimy Posts : 688

Back to top Go down

Post by Katerinu Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:58 am

AmyAnn wrote:A

Adobe Audition is a program that I have been dying to have but I don't have the money for it rn :C

I have an Equalizer in Wavepad too that I have looked up ways to use, but it always makes my vocals sound.... not staticy, just sort of unclean for some reason. I recently downloaded a compressor which works rather nicely, but i still have to do some volume editing which can be tough @-@
Katerinu
Katerinu

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyAnn Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:08 am

To get vocals level automatically, I always do (this is for Wavepad):
Automatic Gain Control
Dynamic Range Compressor (Smooth)
High Pass Filter (200)

All you have to do after that is use your amplify and set it to negatives to lower your breathes and sharp "s" sounds and things. I tend to do that for all recordings before I go ahead and mix them against the music.

Try the Equalizer on that and set it to Notch under the presets. That does the job pretty good on my end (:
AmyAnn
AmyAnn
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Aimy Posts : 688

Back to top Go down

Post by Katerinu Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:10 am

AmyAnn wrote:T

Thanks a bunch! I'll give that a try next time! : )
Katerinu
Katerinu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum