Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:00 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:08 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Uniqflame Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] January: Bittersweet Chocolate~Due January 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 am

» ✾ Faeri's Covers ✾
by FaeriMagic Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:22 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] December: Snow Day~Due December 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:10 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] November: Together in Harmony~Due November 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:02 pm

PVs v.s. Chorus Animations?

+3
mong
FSH
Ciel
7 posters

Go down

PVs v.s. Chorus Animations? Empty PVs v.s. Chorus Animations?

Post by Ciel Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:32 am

Coming more from a PV-making background, I've always thought that chorus animations are chorus animations, and shouldn't step into the lines of a PV-like approach just because it doesn't suit the purpose.

But there are people who prefer choruses that end up looking like flashy PVs, if I'm not mistaken? Like that crazy BRS one and stuff (which IMO was just too flashy for me XD;; ).

How far can you take it when making a chorus video before it loses its initial purpose - to tell people who's singing what?

YAY DISCUSSIONS.

Anyway, my opinion stands that I am just really not a fan of chorus videos that lose their "purpose". ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS THE SINGER'S NAME DAMNIT. It's nice when they're pretty, but when the pretty becomes more important than who's singing and what their name is, I think it's too over the top? I actually appreciate simpler chorus videos with that little bit of oomph over chorus videos that are over-the-top fancy (like the BRS and Romishin ones that everyone loves to bits), just because I feel like people are spending more time oohing and aahing over the video rather than the singers featured in it O:?

That's just me though!
Ciel
Ciel
Retired Staff

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1

http://flavors.me/justciel

Back to top Go down

PVs v.s. Chorus Animations? Empty Re: PVs v.s. Chorus Animations?

Post by FSH Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:57 am

Well yeah... Sometimes I'll be like "who is that?!" and rage by not knowing how the really good singer is.

I prefer the tradition chorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4Cxwh2ZQI

as easy as that!
FSH
FSH
Hyperactive SUGAR HIGH

Singing Alias : 魚二三 Posts : 1356

Post Spammer Winner

https://www.youtube.com/user/FScarlettHenry

Back to top Go down

Post by mong Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:57 am

I like it when choruses have a similar theme, kind of-- like, they choose one or two effects and idea and use that throughout the video? XD Also helps if the effects kind of match the song~ 8D I personally dislike it when people choose really bright colors for the names of people and stuff because the art student in me goes COLOR CLASH COLOR CLASH STICK TO A SIMILAR TONE PRZ or something... OTL

...Lol, but then again, this is coming from someone who likes a chorus video like this, kind of (although I could watch those bars go all daaay yay) and everyone has their own tastes, so oh well~ XD TBH, I'd like a chorus more if the mixing was good because unless I really really like the chorus video, I'll just listen to it while looking at something on another tab. XD (for example this chorus, which has your standard animation, but it's probably the chorus I listen to the most in an open tab because the voices all blend and build up and sound so pretty ;w; )

Last edited by mong on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : i talk too much XD)
mong
mong
Chorus Staff

Banner Decorator * 1 Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciel Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:07 am

Oh yeah, I'm definitely with you on unifying themes and colours, mong. It's easier on the eyes and brain when a chorus comes together as one. It's okay to have more than one animation style so long as it makes sense and doesn't change TOO far.

Though really, good ol' simple chorus videos are good enough for me XD. If I want fancy I'd be watching PV's XDDDDD
Ciel
Ciel
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by YTChorus Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:26 am

@FSH: I do love love those choruses from last time <3
YTChorus
YTChorus
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/user/YTChorus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniki Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:39 pm

I like a little animating in there, instead of just flashing pictures. When there are a million animations and art works, it's a bit too mugh on the eyes for a chorus pv.... When it's super super simple, that's cool, but I like maybe some transitions in and out? I dunno
Aniki
Aniki
Talkative

Singing Alias : 兄貴 Posts : 336

CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:40 pm

I think lepus has really good chorus-PVs. http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/10434309
Variation, simple, themed, smooth animation keeps me watchin'. owo)b *usually plays a video and listens rather than and watch the PV*

Though, i do like it when there's a constant similiar coloring style-- not just like this one is cellshaded, this one is done with water color, this one is paintery-style. @A@;

Back to top Go down

Post by AnotherNicoUploader Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Flashy is not good. Not good at all. The World's End Dancehall chorus I have uploaded I actually thought was a disaster. Just fancy effects doesn't make it good. Ick.

I'm actually partial to videos that don't have images at all, but just names of singers instead of images or boxes or rhombuses or whateverelse. I dunno if it's just me, but I like to imagine my own image for everyone and not a face I know has a completely different voice. That also makes it cleaner and more fitting with the background or PV, not to mention makes it easier to see the PV without chunks blocking your view.

If it's not that, anything original and smooth but not over-the-top is just perfect.

Quite creative indeed.

There are choruses out there with their own entire animations, but with jarring transitions that's like WOAH HALF THE SCREEN JUST CHANGED DO NOT LIKE and it's all aaaaahhh

^Also agreed with yanyan up der; lepus has his stuff smooth and very nice.

AnotherNicoUploader
Retired Staff

Singing Alias : ANU Posts : 399

Sakura No Ame Chorus My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnotherNicoUploader

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:46 pm

I prefer simpler, image-scrolling/changing choruses that have something special, good mixing, and memorable singers/arrangement of singers in them, because choruses, to me, are more about listening than watching. Why waste your time making spectacular, vampire-sparkly PV-like chorus animations when you could be mixing the singers together beautifully? What I look for most when watching (pff, more like listening) a chorus is how they've mixed and arranged the singer's vocals together; it's whether they're creative with the arranging, or if it's the bland, "let's put everyone singing at once" kind of mixing.

For example, for that super special awesome (or so it seems) Romeo and Cinderella chorus, my only favourite part of the chorus is the end, where they're all singing together with their avatars shown, Usa's and Hanatan's vocals singing a few seconds behind the rest, while flower effects appear in the background in a Victorian kind of a theme. It's very harmonious, both visually and audibly.

Speaking of that, I don't really like how the singers in that (and the BRS) chorus all sing solo during the verses. That's not the definition of "chorus", you know.

But anyway, like mong said, it all just depends on your taste of choruses. Also, that Ura-Omote Lovers chorus is absolutely genius ♥, simply because it's an idea I've never seen in a chorus before and the subtle effects happening (like the bars changing colour over time).

So in short, I honestly like choruses to be more inventive and captivating than other choruses in terms of audio and visuals (so that way I'll definitely remember and re-watch the chorus again and again), keeping a similar theme (so everyone blends together nicely) while not going over board and flashy with everything. Oh, and the basic "choruses that aren't too blinding to the eyes". That World's End Dancehall chorus is terrible, freakin' panning and spinning the camera everywhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciel Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:53 am

I'm so with you guys on this one, ANU and Doubie. Like I mean, I normally listen to the in the background, and when listening, if someone's voice sounds really nice I'll check the video to find them? So honestly just the name is enough really. Well picked images are pleasant to look at though, as long as the BLOODY NAME DOESN'T DISAPPEAR. (I can't be the only one that gets miffed when names disappear halfway through the video)

In other words, this is a slightly underhanded self-pimp of sorts (because for...some reason I'm in it o_O), but mannn this video. I could watch it forever. Ur-Style 【8 Female Chorus +1】. It's kinda similar to the Ura-Omote Lovers one mong linked, but different...? It's very stylish, with just text and various equalisers, all while implementing the original PV!
Ciel
Ciel
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by seahorsegurl Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:40 am

Although I do like simple chorus videos too.. I kinda prefer the ones like that pretty R&C one. *A* I usually watch the videos while listening to the choruses, so I prefer prettier and more original animations to enjoy the chorus more xDDDDD That's just my opinion though. I guess people just have different tastes? .___.

But I also hate it when it's flashy to the point where you can't tell who's singing which part, or the name only shows up for a few seconds in the beginning, then never appears again for the rest of the video. OAO;;;

The R&C one is really fancy, but the names of the singers are also really clear and show up for almost the whole video, so I think it serves its purpose. Plus, the mixing of that chorus was also really good and creative imo, so I think the pretty animation just adds onto that. *A* And I love how the solo parts are longer than usual choruses because.. I dunno. I just like solo parts. OAO; I think it makes you more excited to hear the chorus parts because if everyone's mostly singing together for the verses too, it doesn't make the chorus parts as special. Anyways, that's just my opinion. xDD

However, I also like the choruses like the Piano x Forte x Scandal one because I really love the arrangement for that one and the singers chosen, and the animation is simple but still something sort of fun to watch. 8D

I guess it IS better to have better animations for PVs rather than chorus videos, but maybe some people are just better at animating chorus videos? OAO; Or they just enjoy animating chorus videos more so those would turn out looking better than if they tried to make PVs. xDDDD Anyways, I just like to enjoy both listening AND watching choruses, so I prefer pretty animation in addition to well-mixed audio. 8D
seahorsegurl
seahorsegurl
Animator

Singing Alias : Katie Posts : 56

CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

https://www.youtube.com/seahorsegurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:09 pm

seeing pretty animations can also be nice, like the R&C chorus. O:
altho as what i've read, it depends on everyone's taste. :3
For me, I like detailed ones, (i sound OCD-ish LOL!) but I only
watch those for reference stuff. Simple chorus videos are good,
but it won't hurt to make it PVish as long as what Ciel and the others
said about the names and stuff. XD

I personally like PVish choruses, because the difficulty in making
the video is really interesting. O: but sometimes, there are limits,
because YouTube can ruin the quality of a chorus, so it's better to
keep lesser details and stuffs so it won't look messy when it's
gradually pixelated... (i just hate YouTube degrading the quality XD)

and again, about the details, the R&C one was full of them.. =A=
and it wont hurt too if you make the transitions, images, and stuff to be
in sync with the lyrics, *insert PV style here* because it would
be more interesting to watch. XD and it wouldn't be too simple.. o3o

Anyways, \o\ choruses should fit the song, if the song is messy and
wild, the animation should be wild as well.. O: and if it's solemn or mellow,
then the animation should have smooth transitions, and light colors.. :>

choruses with just images having transitions is... too simple.. XD
but only if your purpose is to let the listener know who is singing,
but if your approach is about making both the video and audio
interesting, then it wont hurt to make the chorus video a bit more
attractive.. ^^

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down