Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:00 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:08 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Uniqflame Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] January: Bittersweet Chocolate~Due January 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 am

» ✾ Faeri's Covers ✾
by FaeriMagic Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:22 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] December: Snow Day~Due December 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:10 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] November: Together in Harmony~Due November 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:02 pm

(Yo)utaite = Secret Identity?

+30
tonairu
soren
FlueFaker
InsanityAura
Xin
Kitoku
Riyumi
jascarly123zo
Hikari
Catalyst
Legender
Onion
Kumoshi
sonic-nancy-fan
LokkiError
Julie Chan
Aisuu aka RiEDe
xXMilkychanXx
mie.
TamagoFish
SAE
Chinatsu96
fuunyu
Jude-ith
Roka
Aerlith
ikikurface
misaaya
Kagi
Kimoicchi
34 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

(Yo)utaite = Secret Identity? Empty (Yo)utaite = Secret Identity?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:26 pm

here's a question for everyone (out of curiosity): do you keep your singing a secret from people you know irl or are you open enough to let your rl friends and family know?  if they know, what do they think about the whole online singing thing (i know some people who would think it's weird).  if they don't know, why not?

ok, maybe that was more than one question >__<

VERY few people know that i even sing at all.  out of all my online friends (outside of the youtaite community), only a small handful know and out of everyone i know irl, only my husband knows.  the reason is that i actually have very little confidence in my singing ability - to the point that if i were made to sing in front of someone, i'd be so nervous that my voice would be all over the place...that's if i can get any sound out at all >__<  at the moment, i can only actually let go and sing if no one else is in the house and i know no one else can hear me.  i finally started my singing channel to try to gradually overcome this fear and singing is something that i do enjoy a lot anyway.

i look forward to seeing everyone else's answers :D

Back to top Go down

(Yo)utaite = Secret Identity? Empty Re: (Yo)utaite = Secret Identity?

Post by Kimoicchi Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:05 pm

Not a secret. I sing at Anime Idol contests at conventions, karaoke with my clubmates and friends, and in Japanese language showcases. My parents know too.

It helps that I know some youtaites who live near me irl. We can talk about covers and stuff.
Kimoicchi
Kimoicchi
Talkative

Singing Alias : キモイ Posts : 435

I'm on the spice rack! Ai Kotoba II Chorus Ai Kotoba II Words Blind Duets Participant YTC 2015 Blind Duet Participant Monthly Theme Participant (1/4) Monthly Theme Participant (2/4) Monthly Theme Participant (3/4) Monthly Theme Participant (4/4)

http://kimoicchi@deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kagi Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm a closet singer, was and forever am. I've never sung out loud my entire life until last year where I suddenly decided to go haywire and pick up a mic and start recording something. Of course, it's only late, late, late at night or whenever my parents are away. They sort of know that I sing and is part of the community, but I've never let them hear any of my covers. I do tell them that I'm busy recording and such...

The problem is... my Twitter account and Tumblr is followed by some RL friends, so if they really want to stalk me, they would (should) have find out by now, however since I haven't heard from any of them, I doubt they know/care about it. I think only two RL friends know I sing on YT, but we never talk about it cause I haven't talked to them for 6 years now. Hahaha. Being out of school sucks.

I think I hide the fact that I am part of this community because of my self-esteem. What is that? Can I eat it? Is it important for me to survive in the boring reality?
Kagi
Kagi
Twitter Mod
Twitter Mod

Singing Alias : カギ Posts : 440

I'm on the spice rack! Ai Kotoba II Chorus Ai Kotoba II Words Blind Duets Judge SMILING Participant Monthly Theme Participant (1/4) Monthly Theme Participant (2/4)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Orob0rustic

Back to top Go down

Post by misaaya Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:43 pm

wuwuwuwuw // My parents don't know I sing online, but close friends know that I do. I only record when my parents are away as well. But there are times where my family holds parties and I usually record in my room(I don't record in my room because crappy internet). My parents know that I sing in choir for school though. xD I don't like letting my parents -- especially my dad-- because he's 'those' kind of dads(LI-LIke "dad, i'm hungry" "hi hungry, i'm dad"). I don't let my mom know because eh, i really don't know. I'm just embarrassed I guess. |D 
Maybe, when I start cosplaying they'll find out sooner or later. Cx
misaaya
misaaya
Conversationalist

Singing Alias : misaaya Posts : 157

YTC 2015 Blind Duet Participant Monthly Theme Participant (1/4) Monthly Theme Participant (2/4) Monthly Theme Participant (3/4) Monthly Theme Participant (4/4)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Misaaya1

Back to top Go down

Post by ikikurface Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:03 pm

My family doesnt know I sing except my younger siblings but they dont know im a part of this community. My rl friends dont know and pretty much nobody knows that   I sing outside the community.
ikikurface
ikikurface
Conversationalist

Singing Alias : Ikikur Posts : 183

I'm on the spice rack! YTC 2015 Blind Duet Participant

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnuVgPc88lgPzY-_6L1YMvg

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerlith Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:32 pm

I don't publicly broadcast it, but if anyone asks what my hobbies are (except my coworkers/students), I'll tell them I cover songs/am part of the community. I know I mentioned it in my Intercultural Communications class before because we were talking about subcommunities and how each one has their own culture and whatnot. I don't give them my YT unless they ask though, but if they want to see it, I don't really care. There's a pretty high chance they're just asking to be polite usually. XDD Most of my friends aren't really interested, but I have a few who will ask me if I've uploaded any new covers and whatnot. My family knows, but they don't really care either. xD

But yeah, I keep my IRL facebook and my Youtaite/online facebooks separate. Mainly because I have a ton of people on my IRL and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be interested in YT stuff, so I don't really want to spam them. And also because I don't really like people online knowing so much of my personal life, especially complete strangers.

This is such a great question to ask. xD I want to see everyone's replies, too!
Aerlith
Aerlith
Forever messing with staff.
Forever messing with staff.

Singing Alias : Aerlith Posts : 1976
I'm on the spice rack! Raidcall Train Participant Ai Kotoba II Chorus Ai Kotoba II Words Blind Duets Judge SMILING Participant Tako Luka Maguro Fever Event Participant Box of Cheer ٩๏̯͡๏۶ Participant Megurine Luka 10-Year Celebration Participant Monthly Theme Participant (1/4) Monthly Theme Participant (2/4) Monthly Theme Participant (3/4) Monthly Theme Participant (4/4)

https://www.youtube.com/user/xAerlith

Back to top Go down

Post by Roka Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Prior to high school, a few of my friends knew I sang and posted stuff on youtube, but no one knew what exactly I sang. My family learned over time that I sang and recorded myself (a few times they told me to stop because of 'online danger').
A few friends I made in my first year of high school know that I sang on youtube and was in the YTC community, but then I stopped singing altogether and that was that. They are aware that I like to sing but nothing more. And they were quite supporting about me posting covers online though.
I guess I'm not too open about it, and it's not like I'm fully in the community anymore.
Roka
Roka
Spambot Xtreme

Singing Alias : ろか Posts : 5118
Post Spammer Winner Sakura No Ame Chorus Dango Daikazoku Chorus My YTC Story Tako Luka Maguro Fever Event Participant Monthly Theme Participant (1/4)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude-ith Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Classmates, friends and family know I sing (just in general).  :030:
Only a few of them know or heard me sing Vocaloid.  :nyaaa:  My Cuzzie, maybe a few of my brothers, little sis, some buds, a friend from drama, and even granny for when she walked in while I was singing Karakuri Pierrot   :OAO: !!
Cuzzie and friends seem pretty okay that I sing online.

I posted a video of myself singing "Royals" on Facebook last week, got nice compliments friends and family. 
If they saw what I normally upload, I think most would say that it's weird and question me about it :=x:, maybe some would be fascinated.

Jude-ith
Conversationalist

Singing Alias : JudeithK Posts : 153

I'm on the spice rack! Tako Luka Maguro Fever Event Participant

Back to top Go down

Post by fuunyu Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:39 pm

This might get personal, but here it goes.. 

I don't really like my parents knowing about this since they're the type who uses my hobby to tease me when I'm getting yelled at (I'm kind of sensitive about this stuff). So that's why I tried to keep it a secret as best as I can. My father is showing hints that he secretly knows, but I don't know.. Maybe that's just me overthinking it. 

My brother knows though. Since I had asked him several times to leave the room (For some reason my room and my brother's are connected by a huge gaping wall with no doors) and he likes to hum the songs I sang before just to tease me. 

Between all of my RL friends, a lot of them knows I can and love to sing, since I was in the school choir in middle school, volunteered to be the lead vocals in a band for a music assignment for high school, and would accept any offer just to sing (Never sang in an Japanese fair though, I hope I can do it soon). But only 5 of them knows I'm in the community. 3 of them are the Vocaloid community, one of them I showed her my cover for Sarishinohara, and another one because she found out my Soundcloud by accident when she was playing my phone (And Goddamnit she's also a vocalist who sings very good). 

People never really asked me about my hobbies though. Since I hang out with a group of girl geeks they just assume I have weird hobbies. I never wanted them to find out so that's why I have seperate RL/OL Twitters and Facebooks. Since rumors go pretty fast where I live, and somewhat I'm desperate to fit in.
fuunyu
fuunyu
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Singing Alias : Fuu Posts : 80

Ai Kotoba II Chorus Ai Kotoba II Words Blind Duets Participant

https://www.youtube.com/user/greengrass68

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinatsu96 Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:04 am

They all know that I sing and everyone is kind of desperate to get my yt account, but I don't want them to listen to my singing since I have a very low self-esteem irl and I live in sweden (People are actually questioning why I sing in japanese) So I just don't want them to hear my voice and me singing japanese. (Although one of my friends actually found my yt account and I panicked for two days)

Although I usually derp sing when I'm with friends, but that's when someone starts it /O/
Chinatsu96
Chinatsu96
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Chii Posts : 1060

Blind Duets Participant

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYrXxWjpI_-tTLPW84GaYPQ?feature=

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:16 am

I don't exactly 'hide' it, just never mention it :b When my friends ask about why I have mic though, I say something about singing japanese songs and they don't ask any more since they're not interested in Japan/anime/manga and so on and would rather not listen me to talk about it! But I think they do know I have channel, not too sure lol. As I said before, they're not interested in Japan-stuff.

For my parents, at least Mom knows I do some singing stuff on internet and Dad maybe, again though, my parents don't really ask about it, they let me do what I want as long as it won't affect my grades etc. too badly. Mom doesn't like though that I spend so much time on computer but---oh well. :-D

But otherwise I do keep my real life and community seperate, though mostly for privacy haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by SAE Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:27 am

Hmm...

I don't keep it really a secret from most. I know my family knows I sing Japanese and Korean things because I've always liked anime and manga from a young age. 
Most of my close friends know I sing, and they probably get annoyed with it considering I sing a heck of a lot xDD 
Some of my friends/coworkers know, or at least know I enjoy singing and I've gotten many a compliment from my customers about it while im usually washing dishes or passing by to deliver food. 
As for me being a part of this community only two of my closest friends, my boyfriend, my roommates and all of my online friends know I am a part of it, and know about my youtube account.

I don't think its something I really want everyone to know about since I'm still wanting to improve my singing (even take vocal lessons), so i dont really pass out my info about my yt, but I think if someone i dont know wanted to know, I'd tell them what I do and such.

I dont know, I dont know any other singers in the community anywhere near me (like at least a 6 hour drive), so its lonesome to be the only one nearby xD
SAE
SAE
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Singing Alias : SAE Posts : 104

Blind Duets Participant YTC 2015 Blind Duet Participant

https://www.youtube.com/user/sammielove20

Back to top Go down

Post by TamagoFish Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:33 pm

Eh, it's not really a secret. It's generally known I sing irl, helping out with the show choir and musical in my school, and if people ask, I do tell them that I make covers. When they ask what kind, I usually say "just some Japanese stuff" and laugh it off. 

At home, when I'm recording, my parents usually think I'm practicing or something and generally don't bother me. I don't think they really care/mind, so we don't talk about it much.

I use the same username for practically everything, so if someone reaaally wants to know my yt, they just have to guess LOL.
TamagoFish
TamagoFish
Conversationalist

Singing Alias : Cree Posts : 212

Blind Duets Judge

Back to top Go down

Post by mie. Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:11 pm

my family knows, my friends know and one of them even subs me ;>> i don't really hide it, since i have no problems about it; it's something i absolutely love but i don't usually say it unless people ask me what are my hobbies ;))

Last edited by mie. on Tue May 27, 2014 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
mie.
mie.
Talkative

Singing Alias : mie Posts : 583

Banner Decorator * 1

https://www.youtube.com/user/mieyyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:07 pm

this may sound silly, but i'm envious of how courageous some of you are >w<  well, it feels courageous to me xD  about not caring if people irl know and just generally being open about it.  the weird thing is that i used to be in the school chorus in primary school and i even sang a song i wrote at my primary school's leaver's assembly in front of the whole school, parents and teachers.  i don't know when or how, but sometime after that is when i became extremely self-conscious about my voice. 

i hope that one day, i can get to a point where i feel comfortable enough to just sing with my friends and if asked, smile and say that i DO sing.  one day QwQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinatsu96 Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:47 am

KaRei wrote:this may sound silly, but i'm envious of how courageous some of you are >w<  well, it feels courageous to me xD  about not caring if people irl know and just generally being open about it.  the weird thing is that i used to be in the school chorus in primary school and i even sang a song i wrote at my primary school's leaver's assembly in front of the whole school, parents and teachers.  i don't know when or how, but sometime after that is when i became extremely self-conscious about my voice. 

i hope that one day, i can get to a point where i feel comfortable enough to just sing with my friends and if asked, smile and say that i DO sing.  one day QwQ

You can do it! *whispervoice*IBelieveInYou
Chinatsu96
Chinatsu96
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Chii Posts : 1060

Blind Duets Participant

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYrXxWjpI_-tTLPW84GaYPQ?feature=

Back to top Go down

Post by xXMilkychanXx Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:25 am

My family and my friends know that I sing :3
To be more precise, I actually got to know all my good friends through YouTube so it's kinda obvious xD 
I improved with them together and I guess we will stay friends for a long time :3
My family knows that I sing and they liked it so far! My mother was sceptical at the beginning but that was way back when I just started and thus sounded pretty bad so I could understand her xD But I had fun and she said that I should continue ouo
At school, just 3 people know that I sing and really listened to my songs, but the others don't really care what I do at home so I didn't tell them either.
My only problem is that I'm pretty shy so I can't really sing around other people except of my brother :'D But I don't mind to tell them if anyone asks or to show them my covers - I'm just to scared to Fail when they expect something good while singing right before them =w=

Oh and I'm pretty sure you will feel comfortable enough one day, just take your time and start with telling them that you do it :3
And the most important thing - Have fun ^.^
xXMilkychanXx
xXMilkychanXx

Singing Alias : Milky Posts : 30

http://www.youtube.de/xXMilkychanXx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:18 pm

No one knows I do this whole singing thing Well, I mean my brothers know I scream in my room with a mic and so do my parents but they don't know abut the whole idea of the YT community. They know I also talk on Skype ( which they strongly dislike but meh owo ) and my few friends at school don't know abut this side of me either. Idk, it just feels weird if I were to tell them this now when they've always seen and known me as the kind, shy, quiet Asian girl who rlly doesn't have a life outside of home. Which, I kind of blame myself for building that kind of reputation |'D and now I feel like if I tell them it'll just be awkward cuz I speak in a girly voice and if they hear my shota voice and singing...I think they'd think that was a different person...idk it'd just make things more awkward in my current moment in life |'D

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisuu aka RiEDe Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:04 pm

I've always tried to keep it a secret from my mom and my brother but eventually they found out. At first my mom just thought of it as a small thing but afterwards she immediately signed me up for vocal lessons and wanted me to pursue it. ; v ; 

My online friends know that I post covers but my real life schoolmates don't. It's because I'm sort of anti-social in real life and my schoolmates don't listen to Japanese songs either. However, my schoolmates do know that I sing and had taken vocal lessons before because I had to join a music competition in school (it was mandatory) and since I couldn't play any instrument, I just sang.

I don't like letting others know that I post covers online because I'm pretty self-conscious about my voice and everything. I like separating my online life and my real life so I suppose that's why I try to conceal everything I do online from my real life friends.

I hope someday I can be confident about my singing and just don't give a damn about being self-conscious.

Last edited by Ice Elf on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting typos)
Aisuu aka RiEDe
Aisuu aka RiEDe
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Aisuu Posts : 772

Penny for your thoughts! Just my two cents. I'm on the spice rack! Tako Luka Maguro Fever Event Participant Box of Cheer ٩๏̯͡๏۶ Participant YTC 2015 Blind Duet Participant Monthly Theme Participant (1/4) Monthly Theme Participant (2/4) Monthly Theme Participant (3/4) Monthly Theme Participant (4/4)

https://www.youtube.com/user/IceElfPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Chan Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:57 am

Uhm it's not a secret, but nearly nobody of my friends at home know about this thingy, just one or two and they think it's okay. Nobody is interestet in such a thing, so.. My parents know, that i am singing, but not on the internet XD (funny thing, my cousin subs me... don't know if she knows about me :'D)
Julie Chan
Julie Chan

Singing Alias : Apfel Posts : 12

http://cupcakestories.de.tl/

Back to top Go down

Post by LokkiError Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:08 pm

EVERYONE KNOWS I DO CRACK! MWAHAHAHAHHAH! //tips over//
LokkiError
LokkiError
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Singing Alias : Lokki Posts : 107

SMILING Participant

https://www.youtube.com/user/LokkiError?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic-nancy-fan Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:14 pm

LokkiError wrote:EVERYONE KNOWS I DO CRACK! MWAHAHAHAHHAH! //tips over//

Well, I cannot beat that.XD

For the most part, I try to keep my utaiteness a secret. If people ask what I do in my spare time, I tell them that I trans-lyricate songs but even after I explain what that means, most of them are not interested. My close friends are almost all in musical theater and will randomly burst into song in the hallways while I quietly stand next to them. Yeah, I definitely have some self-esteem issues when it comes to singing. One time, I did a presentation about trans-lyricating songs; 95% of the room thought I was a weirdo. Shiny 

As for my family, I have not told any of them directly, but I am pretty sure that my brother knows I cover stuff. My parents probably have a pretty good idea about it to, just not as in-depth of an idea. They know I talk to random people with common musical interests on Skype, but other than knowing that we all like foreign music, I do no think that they actually understand what a utaite is or anything of that sort.

None of them know about my YTC, YT, or blog though. Considering that most of my spare time is dedicated to utaite things, you would think that they would know by now. I am glad though since my dad is one of those 'campy-campers' who would talk to me about it constantly.
sonic-nancy-fan
sonic-nancy-fan
Administrator

Singing Alias : Joker Posts : 679

Penny for your thoughts! Ai Kotoba II Words Tako Luka Maguro Fever Event Participant Box of Cheer ٩๏̯͡๏۶ Participant Megurine Luka 10-Year Celebration Participant Monthly Theme Participant (1/4) Monthly Theme Participant (2/4) Monthly Theme Participant (3/4) Monthly Theme Participant (4/4)

http://sonicnancyfan.blog.fc2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumoshi Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:52 pm

For a long time, I kept it a secret from people I know. My parents knew because I asked to buy a microphone and sometimes ask them for a few moments of privacy if I need to finish up recording something. However, I came up with an alias and avoided putting pictures or other clear identification of myself on my Youtube. I wanted strangers to judge purely based on my singing and not be influenced by my appearance. And I didn't want friends to know it was me if they happened to find my covers because I was afraid they'd feel obligated to praise me rather than give their honest opinions because of our friendship.

But last year a friend found my Youtube channel (I assume it's because I have links to my YT on a few of my accounts on other websites and she was probably curious and snooped around xD) and shared it with some other friends, so now some of them know.
Kumoshi
Kumoshi
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Kumoshi Posts : 1014

I'm on the spice rack! Ai Kotoba II Words Blind Duets Participant SMILING Participant Box of Cheer ٩๏̯͡๏۶ Participant YTC 2015 Blind Duet Participant Monthly Theme Participant (1/4) Monthly Theme Participant (2/4) Monthly Theme Participant (3/4) Monthly Theme Participant (4/4)

https://www.youtube.com/user/kaisoumizu

Back to top Go down

Post by Onion Fri May 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Onion
Onion
*~Sparkling Mixer~*

Singing Alias : Onion Posts : 4112

I'm on the spice rack! Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story Blind Duets Participant Megurine Luka 10-Year Celebration Participant

https://www.youtube.com/user/SeirenOnion

Back to top Go down

Post by Legender Fri May 09, 2014 7:29 pm

It depends a lot for me. I have a few irl friends who are super into VOCALOID who I share covers with, but most irl friends don't know. A large majority of my online friends come from the VOCALOID and youtaite community, and they know I sing.

My family I don't think knows quite what I do. All they know is they can hear me sing Japanese, but I don't think they know I have two youtube channels dedicated to singing and creating karaoke videos >__>;

My friends support me completely in it. I wouldn't have started posting stuff if it hadn't been for them :'D My family makes fun of me for my music taste, though (by music taste I mean "lol why are you listening to music that's not English")
Legender
Legender
Breathing is overrated.

Singing Alias : Gender Posts : 440

Ai Kotoba II Chorus Ai Kotoba II Words Blind Duets Participant SMILING Participant

http://wolfehmaster.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next