Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:00 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:08 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Uniqflame Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] January: Bittersweet Chocolate~Due January 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 am

» ✾ Faeri's Covers ✾
by FaeriMagic Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:22 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] December: Snow Day~Due December 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:10 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] November: Together in Harmony~Due November 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:02 pm

I'm a girl trying to sing like a guy

+4
ToujoursRêver
Cherysh
Kago
Yummei-Chun
8 posters

Go down

I'm a girl trying to sing like a guy Empty I'm a girl trying to sing like a guy

Post by Yummei-Chun Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:46 am

Three words:
I.
NEED.
HELP.
I've been trying to go about this by trying to sing some low songs and recreate the sounds of some of my favorite nico-singers (Valshe, Kuroneko, Sekihan, Dasoku, ect.) I'm somewhat successful in sounding like kuroneko and valshe but, I have trouble when I get to actual male singers. e n e;;
I really hoping someone could help me?
And I have asked my mom to get me some singing lessons or something. she said no. several times.
Yummei-Chun
Yummei-Chun
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Singing Alias : ALACE♥ Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

I'm a girl trying to sing like a guy Empty Re: I'm a girl trying to sing like a guy

Post by Kago Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:03 am

Hmmm.. to actually sound like a guy it really depends on your voice type. Do you have a cover that we can hear as an example of something?

I'm not a pro and I don't have any lessons too. But I know genderbender is quite hard for most people to do. I did tried to genderbender in my Suki Kirai self duet cover -points below- (Although, I think I still sound like a girl XD) Even Valshe often sound like a girl to me.

Edit: I manage to stalk find you on youtube XD. I think your voice can go low. But to sound like an actual male I think it would actually be really hard o.o. (Even for most people)

I'm thinking whether vocal range exercises would help. But this would require you to do it frequently.

I'm not sure if this helped (I don't think so). So forgive me I'm a girl trying to sing like a guy 119396 -Tried to help but failed-
Kago
Kago
Talkative

Singing Alias : Kago / カゴ Posts : 569

My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kago4eva?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

I'm a girl trying to sing like a guy Empty Re: I'm a girl trying to sing like a guy

Post by Yummei-Chun Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:44 pm

@Kago the cover of take off I have is the lowest Song that I have posted, I could record something short to show you how deep I can go. (I go a bit deeper than I do in that cover)
Edit: here's me singing pero pero in my man voice.
http://www.box.net/files#/files/0/f/104098702/1/f_863659288
Yummei-Chun
Yummei-Chun
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Back to top Go down

Post by Kago Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Hmmm I can't seems to access that website, did you post the correct link?
Kago
Kago
Talkative

Singing Alias : Kago / カゴ Posts : 569

My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kago4eva?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherysh Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:06 am

I think if your goal is to actually sing in a way that you could pass off for a male singer, rather than a girl with a really low/boyish voice (eg Valshe, Hanychamu), that would be near impossible.

If you just want to be able to hit the low notes of the songs you want to sing in general, try looking up vocal exercises (that aim to help you on the low notes) on youtube. Otherwise, with consistent (and proper) practice of the song in question, you'll eventually be able to get it!
Cherysh
Cherysh
Talkative

Sakura No Ame Chorus Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2

Back to top Go down

Post by ToujoursRêver Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 pm

All that I can suggest from my own experiences trying to make my voice somewhat believably male (which succeeds sometimes, I've scared a granny before. She thought there was suddenly a man behind her.) is to practice singing those low notes whenever you can if you have a hard time reaching the notes you want to hit. Once you practice and can get those lower notes, you can try to comfortably give your voice a bit of roughness.
To elaborate: When you heard a female voice or a young boy, usually their voice will sound kind of 'light' or clear. But as you listen to male voices, the 'light'ness and clarity isn't really there, instead there's a bit of a roughness, or hoarseness.
I felt I could try to explain and maybe help out by making an audio recording, so if ya wanna bother listening, here it is:
box.net/shared/czb38sh67hx6ga1sn0de

Some male voices are near impossible for the majority of people with naturally higher voices. But you never know. Smile

Good luck!
ToujoursRêver
ToujoursRêver

Singing Alias : LAIZEE-D. Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Yummei-Chun Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:31 am

@ToujoursRêver
LOL, if haterz gon' hate, then haterz gon hate
Yummei-Chun
Yummei-Chun
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:08 pm

Well, here I go posting on semi-old to old threads again~

I'm trying the same thing though I just sound like either a really shota girl or a really really shota boy either way... so far I've only been confused for a boy accidentally and when speaking.... I think even Valshe sounds very girlish, so most people will be at least partially convinced as long as you can go really low.

However, I also consulted my choir teacher about this. Guys and girls use totally different tones quite a lot. Guys tend to aim for deep, dark tones, because otherwise the girls steal the show with their lightness. Happy Go Lucky But if you can produce the heavier tones, I think it'll be good~

Also, I think guys sing more from their chest and try for more strength.

Okay long post, sorry. Hope I at least semihelped though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenn Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:24 pm

Don't force your voice to do something it's not meant to do. You're not a boy, so don't force yourself.

What you can do though is getting a male vocalist to sing along with you.

Glenn

Singing Alias : Glenn Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Seitanoshuuki Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:01 pm

^I agree with the "don't force yourself," since doing so is damaging for your voice.

In terms of range, I've heard it said that most people should be physiologically able to cover at least 3 octaves. O_o I don't how many people can actually do that, but it is possible! neko (Note that it is much easier to expand your range up than down though. 8'D)

In terms of tone... I think this is where it gets really messy. 8DDD You need a REALLY strong chest voice to pull it off, and the probably the only way you can do it convincingly is to get a deep, almost Gakupo-like sound, since no matter what you do, you'll still end up having a feminine quality to your voice. orz Listening to Che:Sakurai and Hitori's full genderbent covers (not the deep-woman-voice covers) should be helpful, since they over-emphasize the "manly" tone to compensate. For example, listen to Che:Sakurai's singing here (Miku is voiced by vip店長, who is a god at genderbending HNNNGH):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02oHj3orV0Q

Good luck! owo/
Seitanoshuuki
Seitanoshuuki
Keyboard Smasher

Singing Alias : Shuuki (秋記) Posts : 2173

YTC 2015 Blind Duet Participant

https://www.youtube.com/user/SeitanoShuuki?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeagerjacques Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:50 pm

Uh.. by my little experience in singing genderbend stuff what I can say is that it's not enough to lower your voice, you'd have to "act" a little, just so it doesn't fall flat and have more power. Don't mind that it sounds a little theatrical.

Listen to Takarazuka Revue musicals and be inspired. XD
Jeagerjacques
Jeagerjacques
Talkative

Singing Alias : IZA★ Posts : 348

http://honeystars.blog131.fc2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AmaneAruto Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:22 am

I agree with Jacques. You have to have in mind, "I am a guy," and act the part. It'll give you something like a psychological boost in confidence in a way. But if you have choir experience....it will help you a lot.

Some tips:
1. Warm up (with scales or something going down)
2. Drink lots of water (prevent some damage to your vocal cords from doing something you are not used to)
3. Open up your throat. It won't help if your throat is clenched and forced.
4. You need lots of air. Chest voice needs to be strong anyways. It is impossible to sound manly in a head voice. You can sound like shota using head voice though. Also, use the diaphram to breathe.
5. Depending on the song and style, different techniques can help you sound manlier. I sometimes tend to use excessively fast paced vibrato to sound a bit manlier at higher parts.
6. Relax. It won't do any good when your muscles are tense.

I usually make a funny face when I go low XDDD. I make a half frown.

It naturally takes practice. It will take some time. Though it didn't take me long to reach the range since my range includes more in the bass clef anyways, the main problem for me is not going flat. Usually going low, females will sound flat. And when they go too low, the voice becomes airy.

Easier method: Get a voice changing program. (Sorry, I don't know any.)
AmaneAruto
AmaneAruto
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Singing Alias : 雨音 アルト Posts : 129

My YTC Story Ai Kotoba II Chorus Ai Kotoba II Words

http://www.youtube/user/AmaneAruto

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:20 pm

ASDFGHJKL;
VIP-Tencho is my HEROO >:O
lol XD now that that's over ~
beleive me it's hard to genderbend, but it's possible ! I NOW CAN SUCCESFULLY SOUND LIKE A GIRL AND TRICK PEOPLE ! >:D
XD well anyways, don't force yourself TOO MUCH.
(I use way too mush caps lock...)
Try singing so your voice comes from your chest, so it can sound deeper, guys sing more from their chest and try for more strength.
C:
hope this leps hur hur hur ~ XD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down