Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:00 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:08 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Uniqflame Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] January: Bittersweet Chocolate~Due January 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 am

» ✾ Faeri's Covers ✾
by FaeriMagic Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:22 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] December: Snow Day~Due December 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:10 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] November: Together in Harmony~Due November 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:02 pm

Forum Spamming Problem

+17
Kouko
Jay-Shay
Kasikki
Ke-ki
JinSeng
Serena Scarlet
ChibiKumiko
kiki
Blip
~AutumnZephyr~
Kuma-tan
Kumbancha
Aniki
Dympchan
AnotherNicoUploader
Onion
krannda
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forum Spamming Problem Empty Forum Spamming Problem

Post by krannda Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:08 am

Recently, it has come to my attention that many of the forum members have been making the forums into their own little chatroom. In fact, I have just addressed this problem in one of the Spam topics, but just so everyone sees I've decided to make it an announcement cuz I think it is a problem that is getting a little bit out of hand. :3

Definition of Chatroom VS. Discussion Forum
http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/blogchatinstantmessaging/f/email_vs_im.htm
A chat is a real time online conversation between many computer users.
All participants must be in front of their computer at the same time. The chat takes place in a "chat room", a virtual online room also called a channel. Users type their messages, and their messages appear on the monitor as text entries that scroll many screens deep. Anywhere from 2 to 200 people can be in a chat room. They can freely send, receive and reply to messages from many chat users simultaneously. It is like instant messaging, but with more than two people, fast typing, fast scrolling screens, and most of the people are strangers to each other. Chat used to be very popular in the late 1990's, but has fallen out of vogue lately. Fewer and fewer people use chat; instead, instant messaging and discussion forums are far more popular in 2007.

Discussion forums are really a slow-motion form of chat.
Forums are designed to build online communities of people with similar interests. Also known as a "discussion group", "board" or "newsgroup", a forum is an asynchronous service where you can trade non-instant messages with other members. The other members reply on their own schedule, and do not need to be present while you are sending. Every forum is also dedicated to some specific community or subject, such as travel, gardening, motorcycles, vintage cars, cooking, social issues, music artists, and more. Forums are very popular, and are renowned for being quite addictive because they put you in touch with many similar-minded people.

http://www.helium.com/items/505031-understanding-the-difference-between-chat-instant-messaging-and-forums
A forum is a non-live communication system you can not talk live because its like posting a message for some one to see when they log on the the forum similar to yahoo messengers message away system.

With this in mind:
Yes, forums are in fact a slow-motion form of chat but when you stray off-topic and talk in real-time, it becomes exactly what you would call "Instant Messaging", which you can actually do in Skype. (I know most of you have one judging from your profiles... <w<;; )
There is really no point in having your chats here when you can do it elsewhere. Also, you're kind of wasting forum space.

Not only that but, as highlighted above in red, forums are supposed to be where people form a community. Let me stress on the word COMMUNITY.

If you hold your little chats here, it can and will intimidate & scare new members away, thinking that they will have a hard time integrating into the community.
Do you have any idea how hard it is to post something about your height in the height thread when people are going on about other stuff? xD;;
*based on personal experience*

These "chats" are creating cliques in the forums and there have been quite a number of people who have left because of this. If anyone really cares about expanding the forums, getting everyone involved and creating a community, I strongly suggest that you stop going off-topic and creating your own "Skype chats" in the forums. Please.
Do the right things at the right place and at the right time.

It's totally okay if you post a lot of stuff, just don't go off-topic and continue into your own little off-topic chat within the forums. STAY ON TOPIC.

Thank you for your kind attention. :3

PS. If you do see someone go off-topic, please remind them~ Thanks~

PPS.
AnotherNicoUploader wrote:Forum archiving can be extremely important, in case there's some small details somewhere in a topic somewhere, nobody has specifics and search fails you. You don't want to be going through several hundred pages for a couple words. It's just not good. This is from experience many, many times.

Casual talk and enjoying yourself certainly is permitted, but it's a bit awkward when you pop into the post your picture thread and find six pages on pancakes and no pictures. You don't need to be a moderator to figure out something's wrong there.

Last edited by krannda on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:26 am; edited 2 times in total
krannda
krannda
I'm still alive?

Singing Alias : kran Posts : 1244

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

https://www.youtube.com/user/fxsynth

Back to top Go down

Forum Spamming Problem Empty Re: Forum Spamming Problem

Post by Onion Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:08 am

Remember also to not post posts with only about 3 words in them unless otherwise. Also eat a healthy breakfast each morning to have energy *shot* and just because spam topic is called spam doesn't mean to post every 5 seconds owo;; we don't wanna become something like 4chan here xD;;
Onion
Onion
*~Sparkling Mixer~*

Singing Alias : Onion Posts : 4112

I'm on the spice rack! Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story Blind Duets Participant Megurine Luka 10-Year Celebration Participant

https://www.youtube.com/user/SeirenOnion

Back to top Go down

Post by krannda Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:15 am

Onion wrote:Remember also to not post posts with only about 3 words in them unless otherwise. Also eat a healthy breakfast each morning to have energy *shot* and just because spam topic is called spam doesn't mean to post every 5 seconds owo;; we don't wanna become something like 4chan here xD;;

Totallly agree with this~

The spam section is for random topics that make no sense, but that doesn't mean that you can't go off-topic there. Example: If the topic says "Bananas are good!", then you talk about banana-related things. xD

I also don't like the idea that some members are using that section to make their own little chatroom threads.
krannda
krannda
I'm still alive?

Back to top Go down

Post by AnotherNicoUploader Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:02 am

//pops in

Remember that forumotion does have a limit of messages per forum; Rougly 8 million, but up to 4 billion if you push it. :D

okay no seriously

Forum archiving can be extremely important, in case there's some small details somewhere in a topic somewhere, nobody has specifics and search fails you. You don't want to be going through several hundred pages for a couple words. It's just not good. This is from experience many, many times.

Casual talk and enjoying yourself certainly is permitted, but it's a bit awkward when you pop into the post your picture thread and find six pages on pancakes and no pictures. You don't need to be a moderator to figure out something's wrong there.

//poofs

AnotherNicoUploader
Retired Staff

Singing Alias : ANU Posts : 399

Sakura No Ame Chorus My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnotherNicoUploader

Back to top Go down

Post by Dympchan Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:56 pm

THANKYOU KRAN. THANKYOU.

Me and some other skype friends already saw this problem and we were really annoyed by it. It's true that I spam sometimes too, but I stay on topic. (At least, I think. Example: Pasuta Topic, Its a spam topic. But it's all about Pasta XD)

Kran: If you hold your little chats here, it can and will intimidate & scare new members away, thinking that they will have a hard time integrating into the community.

It also scares Old-members away. *Personal experience* Some we used to post a lot in the forums now just only ''lurk''. Myself too, I don't know where the topics are about anymore! It goes way to fast with personal conversations. Some members already left the community because of this problem. Im really sad about that.

Example:
A: OMG LIKE TOTALLY.
B: IKR! Blahblahblahblah
Dymp: *tries to get where the convo is about and poofs in* Uhm.. Hello?
A: blahblahblahblah
Dymp: Ignored.

Im trying to say that the conversation are always between 2 to 5 people and you can't get trough. So now I talk more on Skype with the people then here.

Im really glad that you noticed this Kran, I hope it will go away soon.
Come on guys, let's be a fun community!

Im sorry for some English mistakes, but I do hope you guys understand.

Dympchan
Hyperactive SUGAR HIGH

Banner Decorator * 1 Dango Daikazoku Chorus My YTC Story Treasure Hunt Runner Ups

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniki Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:00 pm

Glad you figured out announcements =u=)b But really... That exactly why I've been only lurking recently... Actually I only lurk the chorus battle forum since I can't make head nor tail of what's going on in the forums anymore :c
Aniki
Aniki
Talkative

Singing Alias : 兄貴 Posts : 336

CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumbancha Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:05 pm

I'm so glad this was brought up, I personally can't even follow the forums anymore because of all the chaos going on, It certainly is a problem that needs fixing but I'm glad is being taken care of
Kumbancha
Kumbancha
Motor Mouth

Singing Alias : Kumba Posts : 1151

Sakura No Ame Chorus Dango Daikazoku Chorus My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuma-tan Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:00 pm

OTL its good this was brought up.Ive seen people i dont really know leave because of probably reasons like these.ANd i know those people were really good people.I had this experience too when i just started the Forums.People didnt really go with the topics so i got confused and i was about to leave.

I know i can do it sometimes but then i remind myself that this is the Blankblankblank topic and i need to get on topic but its pretty hard to change it when everyone else is just posting about it. I dont want to feel out of place. But illl try harder not to do tings like that.And ill be annoying people about this and kill whatever they are doing for the good of it.OTL
Kuma-tan
Kuma-tan
iPost'a'Lot

Singing Alias : mir Posts : 3300

Dango Daikazoku Chorus My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/Miramiee

Back to top Go down

Post by krannda Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Kuma-tan wrote:OTL its good this was brought up.Ive seen people i dont really know leave because of probably reasons like these.ANd i know those people were really good people.I had this experience too when i just started the Forums.People didnt really go with the topics so i got confused and i was about to leave.

I know i can do it sometimes but then i remind myself that this is the Blankblankblank topic and i need to get on topic but its pretty hard to change it when everyone else is just posting about it. I dont want to feel out of place. But illl try harder not to do tings like that.And ill be annoying people about this and kill whatever they are doing for the good of it.OTL

Just tell them they're going off topic. xD
It's quite simple. Just because you're a normal member, it doesn't mean that you can't tell other people off. If you want the forums to be fun for everyone, you have to play your own part in it as well. Don't follow along just because others are. That would mean you're not willing to stand up for what's right and for the best interests of everyone on the forums. owo

(omg... I sound like I'm giving a leadership speech. LOL)
but anyways, if you don't stop it, who else will? It's not like I or any of the other mods are online all the time. xD
krannda
krannda
I'm still alive?

Back to top Go down

Post by ~AutumnZephyr~ Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Tomeshi wishes to apologize, because he knows he is one of the people responsible... ;^;

As an avid forumer (was also a forum mod somewhere... long time ago in a different life Razz) and as a person, Tomeshi should know better.. ;^;
~AutumnZephyr~
~AutumnZephyr~
Spambot Xtreme

Singing Alias : とめし Posts : 4174

My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/ShadowSentry

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuma-tan Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:22 pm

krannda wrote:That would mean you're not willing to stand up for what's right and for the best interests of everyone on the forums. owo

(omg... I sound like I'm giving a leadership speech. LOL)
but anyways, if you don't stop it, who else will? It's not like I or any of the other mods are online all the time. xD

Mn.I thats right.Mods arent on much..But...well, its kinda fine to be your own Mini-mini-mini-unimportant-not-much-of-a-real mod right?.It would give the real mods like you less trouble...ANd work because we all know you guys are busy with IRL and YTC stuffs. So.Ok i got it.Tell other people what they are doing wrong, but dont go overboard because im not a mod at all.ITs not my job.Mods and admins maybe are basically in charge of keeping the order and changing it to be better and more stuffs.But,its everyone's job in YTC to behave and follow rules in the first place. SO yeah. Idk if you got my point here but long story short, about the spamming, its all about following rules yourself and watch out for others who might not be following rules and be your own mini-mod so the real mods dont have such a hard time.You can understand the "newer" members,but the "older" members should know by now.Even though you've been here for just a month.
Kuma-tan
Kuma-tan
iPost'a'Lot

Back to top Go down

Post by Onion Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:31 pm

WE'RE GETTING OFF TOPIC PEOPLE!
Mn.I thats right.Mods arent on much..But...well, its kinda fine to be your own Mini-mini-mini-unimportant-not-much-of-a-real mod right?.It would give the real mods like you less trouble...ANd work because we all know you guys are busy with IRL and YTC stuffs. So.Ok i got it.Tell other people what they are doing wrong, but dont go overboard because im not a mod at all.ITs not my job.Mods and admins maybe are basically in charge of keeping the order and changing it to be better and more stuffs.But,its everyone's job in YTC to behave and follow rules in the first place. SO yeah. Idk if you got my point here but long story short, about the spamming, its all about following rules yourself and watch out for others who might not be following rules and be your own mini-mod so the real mods dont have such a hard time.You can understand the "newer" members,but the "older" members should know by now.Even though you've been here for just a month.
Suggest the idea in the suggestions board
Onion
Onion
*~Sparkling Mixer~*

Singing Alias : Onion Posts : 4112

I'm on the spice rack! Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story Blind Duets Participant Megurine Luka 10-Year Celebration Participant

https://www.youtube.com/user/SeirenOnion

Back to top Go down

Post by Blip Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Perhaps adding a chatbox/chatroom could help?

Blip
Fresh off the Boat

Singing Alias : Erin Posts : 9

My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuma-tan Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:46 pm

OTL off topic in a topic that says dont go off topic.Ill go post whatever i said in the suggestions thingy.
Kuma-tan
Kuma-tan
iPost'a'Lot

Back to top Go down

Post by krannda Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:06 pm

Blip wrote:Perhaps adding a chatbox/chatroom could help?

I don't think that will help us much. xDD;;
I know some forums have chatboxes and I've actually taken part in some of them before but I think would be too much activity in the chatbox, judging from the spamming habit of the members here. They wouldn't bother actually posting in the forums, but instead just come to chat in the chatbox. Also, it would make the website longer to load if we have too many people popping messages up every few seconds or so.

It'd be better to just take it to Skype or other Instant Messaging applications, rather than on the forums. =A=;;

We're not exactly liable for members who break the rules.
They are supposed to know what they're supposed to do.
krannda
krannda
I'm still alive?

Back to top Go down

Post by kiki Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:13 am

Thank you for bringing this up kran <3
I've also been experiencing problems because of this XD
Sometimes I get confused because I'm not sure whether I'm in the right thread or not because of so much spamming going on :3

And as Dympie mentioned:
It also scares Old-members away. *Personal experience* Some we used to post a lot in the forums now just only ''lurk''. Myself too, I don't know where the topics are about anymore! It goes way to fast with personal conversations. Some members already left the community because of this problem. Im really sad about that.

It does scare old-members away (including myself =w=) Sometimes even I think to myself whether I should leave this community or not. Some people may have noticed that I rarely post on the forums now because I can't manage to catch up on what we're talking about in a thread. Before I was a lot more of a poster (not sure if this is the right word =w=) than a lurker :3

I don't mean to sound like a dictator/control-freak or a person who ruins the fun when I say this: I hope we can all try to stop all the spamming going on. Seriously, it'll be hard for both new AND old members. And I don't want anymore farewells because of this ;w;

kiki
kiki
Hyperactive SUGAR HIGH

Singing Alias : kiki/キキ Posts : 1697

Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/kikipancakes

Back to top Go down

Post by krannda Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:11 am

I myself also considered just leaving the forums but I just couldn't as a moderator. I also began to become a lurker at a certain point. ;w;

They had no idea how much this has affected the community. xD;;
krannda
krannda
I'm still alive?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dympchan Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:36 am

I sure believe that this affected the community alot, kran.
I think it's like this in all the communities out there with a lot of people?

You can't stop cliques, that's a fact. But you could at least talk to people who try to get the conversation. Usually Im just ignored when I post in a topic like that.
Im also not someone with a big 'family' and such things like that. Because I think those things also create cliques. Its not that Im saying that those families are bad XD. They are fun ofcourse! But some people ónly talk to 'friends' and not new or older members. Wich I think is sad.

Come on everyone >w<!
YTC loves each one of you ;w;

Dympchan
Hyperactive SUGAR HIGH

Banner Decorator * 1 Dango Daikazoku Chorus My YTC Story Treasure Hunt Runner Ups

Back to top Go down

Post by ~AutumnZephyr~ Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:41 am

Tomeshi really had no excuse, but he used to use forums as his main form of communication (just recently started using chatrooms and iming.. >_>;Wink So, in my case I think it is just a habit...

Apologies... ;^;
~AutumnZephyr~
~AutumnZephyr~
Spambot Xtreme

Singing Alias : とめし Posts : 4174

My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/ShadowSentry

Back to top Go down

Post by krannda Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:32 pm

Dympchan wrote:I sure believe that this affected the community alot, kran.

You can't stop cliques, that's a fact. But you could at least talk to people who try to get the conversation. Usually Im just ignored when I post in a topic like that.

LOL in the forums I used to go to. Cliques never happened because no one was really close to each other. The only reason we have cliques here is because we have contact of each other everywhere: Youtube, Skype, blogs, etc.
You get close to one another so that when you see each other in forums, you instantly talk the same way to them, but actually you're not really supposed to.
krannda
krannda
I'm still alive?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dympchan Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:07 am

krannda wrote:
Dympchan wrote:I sure believe that this affected the community alot, kran.

LOL in the forums I used to go to. Cliques never happened because no one was really close to each other. The only reason we have cliques here is because we have contact of each other everywhere: Youtube, Skype, blogs, etc.
You get close to one another so that when you see each other in forums, you instantly talk the same way to them, but actually you're not really supposed to.

Hmm, yeah that's true.
Well, it does mean that we are all close to each other then! It's just sad that new members have problems with making new friends. Usually you are accepted when your in a skype chat with people (that's how I was accepted, if I wasn't add by someone I would still be ignored).

I think we should all get along like we always did.

Dympchan
Hyperactive SUGAR HIGH

Back to top Go down

Post by ChibiKumiko Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Thanks for bringing this up. When I first joined, I was a little intimidated to post on here. So when I started posting, I felt a little more comfortable. But sometimes, like in a thread in the Chit-chat section, I get ignored. So now I don't come here as much and I'm just mostly a lurker and only post like in the word games section. =\
So yeah, I hope this problem gets better soon.
ChibiKumiko
ChibiKumiko
Conversationalist

Singing Alias : Kumiko/クミコ Posts : 180

Dango Daikazoku Chorus Dango Chorus Illustration My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/xChibiYumiChan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuma-tan Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Look, i know im one of those people who have a big "family" but i dont mean to leave anyone out.IOm actually very lonely in the forums because i think everyone i know left me to skype. Thats what Dymp here said.

Dympchan wrote: Usually you are accepted when your in a skype chat with people

I cant make a skype. So i lurk here looking for people to talk to(because i have no life and i visit here for boredom....OTL). When no one is on, i blame skype and stuffs.I expected the older members disappeared because of skype. I didnt really know that it was because of the spamming problem. I know some older members go on here and then. But i check the older threads, they were on like crazy....but i dont see them anymore.I wish i could talk to you guys,the older members, but i just cant. I want to include you in com=nversations, if you say hello. I wont just ignore you.I dont believe in cliques even though i know they are real.
Kuma-tan
Kuma-tan
iPost'a'Lot

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Scarlet Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:57 am

Thanx for bringing up this topic becuz:
A. Im not on for 2 days and when im back its like everyone is totally somewhere else from where we left off.
B. And because of that ive gotten a little into it myself (sorry) so now that its brought up ill stop now.
Serena Scarlet
Serena Scarlet
Talkative

Singing Alias : Rena Posts : 504

http://www.miamiamiamiamamamia.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JinSeng Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:17 am

I leave for a week and this is what happens...

Oh lordy, time to dust off that banhammer.
JinSeng
JinSeng
Turtle Hugger
Turtle Hugger

https://ytchorus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next